Video card question

Reaction score
Is it possible to put any type of pci express x16 video card on the mac pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Physically possible? Sure. Can you expect it to work? That's where it get complicated.

It comes down to drivers. Apple doesn't put in drivers for cards it doesn't use in its systems, so you would face the problem of the new card not working in OS X. However, since Windows does have drivers for practically every graphics card, you could stick the card in and use it in Windows via Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Sa hello to the list of graphics cards u can use in your Mac Pro !

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
ATI Radeon X1900 XT
Nvidia Quadro FX 4500
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600

Kash is quite correct about apple only providing drivers for a very few graphics cards, but i believe there is also a slight issue with having a card which is compatable with the MAC systems EFI BIOS... im not 100% sure on this point, as iv never tried sticking any card except the Mac approved ones into my machine. But iv been led to believe that these cards are different in some way to that of the standard off the shelf models.

For example the 8800GT which i have, is a Mac dedicated product, u cant stick it into a standard windows machine... and following this logic is why i dont think just any old PCI-E graphics card will work in the Mac Pro (even in Boot Camp Windows)...

[But... as said, im not 100%... wiser apple guru's than me might have a better idea !]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.