Newbie Questions!

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I recently made the switch from a PC to a Mac and I've been lurking the forums for a couple days for some tips on my new mac. I have to say, the forums have been very helpful. I do still have a couple questions that I hope some of you could help me with. Here we go...

1) On my Mac I installed Bootcamp with Windows XP. When I am using windows, as I am closing down a site such as Youtube, my browser will freeze and after 30 seconds I will get a message saying "Out of memory at line: 56." I have received this message several times. What does this mean and is there a fix to this?

2) Should I download my virus scan for the Windows OS? I'm assuming yes, since it is Windows.

3) Unfortunatly my patience is low and when I got my mac I had a sudden urge to download bootcamp. I did look up guides to bootcamp and it did help, but I probably should have done a little more research. My question here is did I partition enough space for the Windows side of things? I believe I left 15 GB (I think it was in GB?) for Windows after reading I needed a minimum of 10 GB. I only need windows to run my applications for school, such as Word, Excel, etc. Could the lack of space also account for my problem in #1?

4) Last, is there an option for system restore on my macbook? If I did happen to make some mistake, I would want to system restore before going off to school. No, I didn't back up my information before installing programs.

That should be it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Welcome to the forums.

To be honest I can't help too much with the bootcamp stuff as it's not something I've got round to trying as yet.

1. - dont know

2. - absolutely - yes - windows will still be as insecure as it always has been :)

3. - 15GB should be fine for Windows - we have some older machines where I work that have 8GB drives - of course all 8 is used for Windows only - but still 8GB works fine for Windows, MS Office and a few other apps.

4. Are you using time-machine? Time machine is perhaps one of the best tools in OS X. Time machine allows you to not only recover individual files that you have lost but also allows you to return your system to an older state - kind of like Windows System restore.

You may find that something like Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or a similar tool may also be a good backup option as I believe you can use these tools to backup individual partitions - so you could roll back your windows install without affecting your OS X install and vice-versa. CCC is free by the way so well worth checking out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I only need windows to run my applications for school, such as Word, Excel, etc.

You will probably find that,a s you get more used to Os X you will spend less time in windows. You can still get your school work done

Excel - you can use Apples Numbers
Word - Apple's pages

And if you find you want something more similar to Office then there is the free NeoOffice suit, all the mentioned software will let yuo edit and save .doc, and .xls files

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the help.

What I get from the answers to the system restore, there really is not an option to go back to factory default settings unless I backed up my data from day 1?

#1 in my first post has yet to be answered, so I'm still lookin' for a little help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
i have a question to add: how do you reset the whole comp to an earlier time using time machine?

Reaction score
Another newbie with questions

I got my Macbook Pro on Friday and I'm beginning to love it.. But one thing is driving me nuts. I like to keep the computer running on the table and close the lid, come back again in half hour and continue from where I left off. It looks like after a while, my Macbook signs me out of my instant messenger and the terminal (from where I'm accessing my screen on a remote server) hangs. I want my messenger to keep logged in and my terminal to keep running even if I don't touch the computer for a while.

I tried to change the sleep settings, but it does not seem to help. Even if I said never to sleep, I still have this problem. It's probably some simple setting, I just can't find it.

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
I got my Macbook Pro on Friday and I'm beginning to love it.. But one thing is driving me nuts. I like to keep the computer running on the table and close the lid, come back again in half hour and continue from where I left off. It looks like after a while, my Macbook signs me out of my instant messenger and the terminal (from where I'm accessing my screen on a remote server) hangs. I want my messenger to keep logged in and my terminal to keep running even if I don't touch the computer for a while.

I tried to change the sleep settings, but it does not seem to help. Even if I said never to sleep, I still have this problem. It's probably some simple setting, I just can't find it.

Thanks for any help!

you Should me a new thread, mate :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Instead of using MS Office in Windows via bootcamp, I would strongly recommend you to either;

1. Use MS Office 2008 for mac for best compatibility with windows
2. Use iWork from Apple, relatively compatible, but a bit more lightweight in terms of word processing power
3. NeoOffice, which is free, but does have some compatibility issues when working with complex documents (such as lots of pics, graphs text boxes etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17", 1920x1200 matte LED display, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, 512MB VRAM
My question is why did you download Boot Camp when it already comes with Leopard?

OP
S
Reaction score
"My question is why did you download Boot Camp when it already comes with Leopard?"

Obviously I didn't know it came with Leopard.

The employee at the mac store told me I had to buy the software, and the employee at the Best Buy store told me I had to download it for free.

Doubt it makes a different whether I run it off a CD or download it.

---
Thanks for all the help guys! I will try the solution to the Out of Memory problem soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Bootcamp is just a tool for partitioning your hard drive and a bunch of drivers.

The latest drivers are on the Leopard disc, although there are now newer graphics and sound drivers available you should download.

1) On my Mac I installed Bootcamp with Windows XP. When I am using windows, as I am closing down a site such as Youtube, my browser will freeze and after 30 seconds I will get a message saying "Out of memory at line: 56." I have received this message several times. What does this mean and is there a fix to this?
This is purely a Windows issue. It's irrelevant that you're on a Mac.
Try a Windows forum - they might know.
Are using IE7 or Firefox though?

OP
S
Reaction score
Bootcamp is just a tool for partitioning your hard drive and a bunch of drivers.

The latest drivers are on the Leopard disc, although there are now newer graphics and sound drivers available you should download.

This is purely a Windows issue. It's irrelevant that you're on a Mac.
Try a Windows forum - they might know.
Are using IE7 or Firefox though?

IE6 and AOL 9.1 Browser. Problem occurs on both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
IE6 and AOL 9.1 Browser. Problem occurs on both.

AOL browser...hmm...I don't know that I would trust that to work at anytime (not to be insulting). AOL isn't really one of the major players in the market and it wouldn't be the first time one of their apps caused issues (i'm thinking of their IM applications).

IE 6...well hard to say...I would agree with others and recommend that you check out a Windows forum for that.

I did a quick google...you may want to check out these links

http://www.google.ca/search?q=internet+explorer+6+%2B+youtube+%2B+Out+of+memory+at+line%3A+56&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
AOL's browser is notoriously bad.

You probably need to get onto IE 7. I suspect the fact you're on v6 means you haven't downloaded all the Windows updates from the last few months?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.