I am thinking of selling my MacBook and getting a new one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
What happens with the AppleCare? Does it go to the new owner or does it have to stay under my name? I bought it last September so it still has a while left on it and I will be getting AppleCare with my new macbook as well.

I just want to get a new macbook with a bigger hdd (mine has the 80gb and I want to get the 160gb).

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
why don't you just buy a new HD and stick it in your current MacBook?

But to answer your question, you can transfer it to the new owner.

OP
januhhh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
Don't you have to have a certified Apple person to put the new hdd in so the warranty isn't voided? That was my reservation because I didn't know how much that would cost me. After buying the hdd and playing for it to get put in, it wouldn't be much more to get a brand new one. Do you know how much it costs to get one put in? Because that would be a lot of help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
hd swaps are easy and do not void the warranty even if you do it yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Swapping the HD on a MacBook does NOT void the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here are is link that you may find informative. it should answer some of your questions on how to do the switch.

i recently swapped my hd pm me if you have any specific questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
changing the hard drive on a MB will take you 5 minutes. I wish it was that easy with the MBP :(

OP
januhhh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright then. Next order of business...what hdd should I get? :) I need suggestions because I have no idea what kind I am supposed to be getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need a 2.5in SATA HD, that is no more than 9mm thick. Any thicker, and it won't fit back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there is talk of some bigger hd coming out soon. right now the biggest that i can find is 320gb. if you want a hd that spins at 7200 rpm then the biggest is 200-250 gb.

here what is a available thru newegg to get your search started. when you buy a hd remember to get SATA one. you will also need a SATA hd enclosure so you can clone your hd.

i personally brought a wd 320 gb passport. formated the hd then cloned it using superduper. after that i opened the case took out the new hd and swapped it with the old hd. i put the old hd in the passport enclosure. and tucked it away incase this one ever goes bad.

OP
januhhh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm alright then. I am thinking of the 320 gb WD Scorpio for $130. Not bad right? Its 5400 rpm but I don't really need much more than that.

You people have officially convinced me to stick with my macbook. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would recommend checking the ads tomorrow bestbuy, circuit city and places like that will sell the 320 gb hard drives on sale for about the same amount and they come with the enclosure. i paid about 130 for mine on sale

OP
januhhh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome! Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, an enclosure will be a good thing, whether the drive you get comes with it, or you buy a separate one. the drive you remove from your macbook could be used to back 80GB of data :).

just did this with mine too - just got a 160GB WD in an encloure and ended up swapping it. it was not my intention, but kind of a spur of the moment thing. - very easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
OWC has the 500GB samsungs/with enclosure. cost 300$ though.

its amazing. 500GB in a little laptop HD, and only 1TB in desktop drives still.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.