Pls help answer a few questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.66 Intel Core Duo 4GB RAM 320GB HD
I just bought a 20" iMac. I am a student of Microsoft. (new switcher)
I have a concern.
I do not have an install disk for leopard!

Now, ... what if I decide to 'start over' and format and reinstall the OS.

Can I back up users\name\* then reformat and reinstall OS X?

Once installed, is it just a matter of replacing the files to have my software back?

-Mark

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you just purchase your iMac brand new? Where did you buy it from? All Macs come with Install DVD's. Not sure on the newer Intel Macs, but they used to come in a Gray box inside the main box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Did you buy the mac from apple direct? If so give them a ring and they will be able to set you up with some reinstall discs. When the time comes to starting again you have several options. 1) reinstall the OS and keep all your files as they were, nothing will be changed. 2) create an archive of you current system then reinstall the OS. 3) complete erase and install. This last option is the most "reliable" in terms of completely starting afresh as it literally reverts your mac back to it's factory settings, erasing all files and applications.
As for a back up, you'd be better off getting an external hard drive and backing up onto that, then doing the reinstall.
Hope this helps,
Luke

OP
tak2mark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad, ..... I found the disk.
Please disregard my stupidity.
-Mark

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My bad, ..... I found the disk.
Please disregard my stupidity.
-Mark

Just curious, was it in a small box like I mentioned?

OP
tak2mark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, ... I have a 20" iMac and it comes with a smallish long box with the keyboard, mouse, remote, microfiber cloth, instructions, and software. I had put the software away thinking I wouldn't need it, and forgot about it.

Thanx for the help.
-Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.