Can I force iTunes to re-survey my songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Hi all,

I know how to do this in Windows but am new to iTunes. The move from Windows XP has caused me to turf out a lot of stuff I'm fed up with.

Of course, I just removed them from where they were stored but didn't do it via iTunes.

iTunes now shows question marks when it comes across a track that's gone.

How do I make iTunes re-inventory the music on the hard drive?

Any help gratefully received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Do a Google search for a site called "Doug's Apple Scripts". There are scripts that will do this for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you need to move those tracks back in to itunes if you want them back

Otherwise, if you do not want them, as baggss says, dougs scripts can come to the rescue.

I think on there there is a script called "super remove dead tracks" or something similar - that will clear your library of tracks that no longer have live links to mp3 files

Reaction score
You need to find the itunes data file that has the listing of all your songs. Simply delete this file, then go to itunes FILES and use the add to listings function and point it at the folder that has your music. It will then re add the music to itunes itself. Or, if you only have a few you could just delete them from the itunes listings.

OP
brianwmay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Thanks for the help. I downloaded the Super Remover etc thingy! Never used an Apple Script in my life (I've have a vast experience of two months).

Good isn't it?

Thanks for taking the trouble to help me, I appreciate it. This is a nice forum and nicely run too.

A bientot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.