Seagate Freeagent HD - installation went funny

Reaction score
Hello all, Im not very good with computers so I need some explanation please..:)

My macbook's hard drive broke so I bought a Seagate freeagent HD to use it as a booter until I got chance to have my mac repaired.
I did manage to install OS on it without any problems except it took 7 hours...:) I was aware that it might be a little bit slower but I wasnt expecting that...:))

Can someone please explain me why did it take so long? It's an usb drive and the speed is the same as the mac (5400prm)... If it does count at all...:(

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How old is that macbook you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
maybe the installation had to format the drive to HFS before the installation could start

even so, I would expect it to be quicker than that, the cable the one that came out of the box with the drive?

OP
L
Reaction score
louishen - thanks for your reply:)

before the installation started, the drive was already formatted for OS -which was done in no time...

as for the cable - I used the one which came with the drive... Ive read some recommendations so I was sure about this drive... Anyway, it seems to be working fine since then...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.