Epson 1160

Reaction score
I have recently switched to an iMac but my faithful Epson 1160 Printer only has a dirty great big hub plug that fitted into the PC ... can I buy a USB plug to use on the Mac .. and where .. please...Thank you ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I take it your windows PC used the Parralell port - that great big plug you mentioned.

What you need is a type A to Type B cable. The type A connector is the flat spade like connector that is the most common, this will connect to your mac or hub. The Epson printer needs a more square type B connecter.

Any electronics or computer store will have these cables, a friend may even have a spare lying around. They dont cost much.

AS for drivers, chances are you will be able to just plug it in and run.

OP
S
Reaction score
1160 Driver ???

Thank you for your help.. I got the cable and it plugged in beautifully .. Alas I can only get an Icon and the Utilities' page up ...
I downloaded every driver on this Epson site... :) as I couldn’t see my 1160 in the Apple List .. Nothing worked..
Says there is an error and then a message ‘Classic Environment no longer supported ‘

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...id=8291&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh

I eed Epson...below is their answer ... Which (for me) is confusing

Bytheway I also have the same problem with my Canon Flatbed scanner .. Can’t find the Driver for it, the CD says it is for Macs but must be an earlier one as the same message comes up ..‘Classic Environment no longer supported ‘

I have read the similar problems on this site but my poor 1160 may be too old .. Will I have to buy another printer .. £££££ ???? And scanner????£££
Thank you .. scarlet x

Thank you for contacting EPSON e-mail support.

Epson have not provided a Mac OS X driver for your printer to download for the new Intel platform. However an Inbox driver may be available as part of the Operating System. However in many cases a third party gimp-print driver will have been made available and may be the driver in use. Please be advised that these drivers are not produced nor designed by Epson and as such we cannot guarantee nor technically support their use and function.
Please find below a link to the Epson and Intel OSX information page:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vi...8MBMpKltJXx25x3U4i0Na4h2pCnifNl7wuZY10QMU003D

I suggest you check if an Epson driver is available via the link below, taken from the Apple website:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303057#epsondrivers
Please be advised that the Power PC driver is not suitable for installation to your system. If your printer is listed on the Apple website with "EPSON" under the "Install Package" field then a more suitable Inbox driver is available. If only a "Gimp Print" driver is available, you can install this but there may be limitations to this driver. We cannot guarantee the functionality nor technically support third party drivers. If an EPSON Install Package driver is available it will be found on the Tiger DVD/CD. This driver may not contain Borderless or Maximum options, however I would recommend searching the Tiger/OSX DVD for the following file:
EpsonPrinterDrivers.pkg
This file contains Epson printer drivers, if your product was listed then your printer should be amongst these. Once you have installed the drivers from the EpsonPrinterDrivers.pkg, try adding the printer in the Printer Browser with the printer connected and powered on. Go to HD : Applications : Utilities : Printer Setup Utility. You may find better and more accurate printing results. You could also try checking HD:Library:Receipts for this file. If you cannot find this, insert the MAC OS X Install Disk 1 CD/DVD into the Mac CD/DVD drive. This is the DVD/CD that came with your Intel-based Mac.
1. Open the MAC OS X Install Disk 1 CD and double-click Optional Installs.
2. Click the down arrow next to Printer Drivers and check the box for EPSON Printer Drivers.
3. Click Install and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
4. Once installed restart the Mac. Once restarted, return to:
5. HD:Applications:Utilities..Printer Setup Utility.
6. Click "Add" and add the driver in the Printer Browser - do not add it from the list of Epson printers as this is a gimp-print driver which may not provide good results. Simply highlight the printer and select "Add" - if "Add" is greyed out, wait 10 minutes then try to select the "Add" button - the printer must be powered on and connected. The correct driver from the PKG file will not have "gimp-print" under "Kind".
Should any Borderless options be available, these are likely to be present on particular paper sizes in the Page Setup dialogue box. Models such as the 1290/s and 2100 should have such options. The option appropriate for No Margins is "Sheet Feeder Borderless". The driver looks to have been updated, using the phrasing now used with new Epson printer drivers (i.e. "Borderless" is "No Margins").
The "Standard Minimise Margins" option is what would have been known as "Maximum" - giving you equal margins of 3mm around all 4 sides of the print, as opposed to the standard layout which comprises of three sides at 3mm and the trailing side of the print with the 14mm margin.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance.
With regards to your email, EPSON have recently introduced the opportunity to purchase a brand new unit directly from ourselves
Products that you may be interested in are:
Stylus Photo 1400 for £299.99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There is a gimp driver for your epson, GIMP drivers are the UNix drivers that come in all Unix like OSes.

Go to  > System Preferences

Click on the Print & Fax option in preferneces - do you see your printer?

If yes go to printer set-up and where is says installed options, select printer model instead

Don't seeyour printer, click the + button and set-up your printer there, selecting the gimp driver

AS for the scanner, give VueScan a try - it often gets old scanners going again under OS X

http://www.hamrick.com/

OP
S
Reaction score
You are a Genius .. thankyou ..Now the bad news I managed to print a small print, unfortunately it banded like mad and only printing at 908ppi and now I can't find Utility anywhere ..
It is probably me as the format is different to what I'm used so will have to get used to it .. but am worried there are bits/info missing ..

Will try the Scanner later .. am wornout & aging ..thankyou ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Gimp or Gutenprint released updated drivers today version 5.2.0b3. Here is a link two thirds of the way down the page in blue highlight:-

http://mat.subsume.com/

OP
S
Reaction score
More encore ...

I am in awe of the generosity and knowledge found here ..Thank you ..
So wish I was worthy ...
Harry I d/l'd the 5.2.0 beta 3 Driver from that amazing site .. and I can plainly see that it is now in the Printer ...
Unfortunately I still can't find Utility or choice of paper ..glossy etc ..
.. and the Banding is still all over the prints..
Although when I print a document from Word it is perfect ...
So something is going wrong or missing from Photoshop & iPhoto..and obviously the Epson ...
A Message reads ..
some Postscript specific print settings Interpolation.. Calibration.. Encoding will be ignored since you are using a non post script printer ..
So that seems to explain it but can it be corrected in any way ?? or a new printer .. oh ***!!!!!
thank you ...xs

OP
S
Reaction score
Give Up

OK I give up ...Am going back to hating her !!!
Should have stuck to my computer .. at least everything worked ..
I emailed Mac/Apple .. have a nice day letter back back with people to fone .. AT MY Cost!! not on .. In America tis free ..!!
Anyway .. seems my scanner and printer will have to be replaced with ones compatible with Mac..At my Cost .. again .. am not happey .. thought they had good service ..
Epsom haven't kept up with Mac and they don't have a 1160 driver update .. and bits are missing from the Gutenprint one ..
Downloaded trial Vuscan which doesn't work well .. won't decode some text ..
Oh ***!!! But thank you both for your help.. xs

OP
S
Reaction score
Update actually more like a downdate

Finally gave up on the 1160 (now under the bed) and bought a New cheapo DX 7450 duo which has the exact same problems ...

Many emails back and forth to Mac and Epson .....

I did all the Nozzle Cleaning .. Alignments... which Epson told me to do ..
Had a Mac expert come and look at her and download the drivers which Mac and Epson said were compatible ...
But still banding and messy colours ..
Photoshop was blamed so printed out from iPhtoto .. Same problems....

Epson have dumped me told me to take it back .. but they aren't going to be happy as all the ink has been used up trying to make it work properly ...

Mac for all they so called good service have not been at all helpful and pass the buck ..

Fed up and out of pocket ..... just having a moan .. will now have to save up and buy another one .. any ideas please????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.