White or Black - Which to buy?

Reaction score
I wanted to buy a macbook. So i went to the apple store online and starting comparing the prices of the latest ones. And i noticed that if I upgrade the config of the white macbook, and make it same as the black macbook, its still 100$ cheaper..

So I want to know which one to get?

wat are the pros & cons of getting a white or black one?
i mean, why is the black one 100$ more and is it worth the 100$
-coz ive read in some articles that the black macbook keeps getting smudges and somewhere else i read that the white one slowly beomes yellow (meaning it gets dirty)

so finally.. which one to buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I sold my white to get a black I like the black more. I guess because we had the white iBooks for all those years,Now the white seems dull to me. I found the white to get dirty also.

OP
P
Reaction score
but wat abt the constant smudging on the black one?

and do u think even the NEW white ones will be getting dirty?
coz i thought... if its like the ipod.. the white one doesnt really get dirty..
(i hav a black one.. and the price is the same.. i still dont get it.. y cant they keep the price same for the black and white)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I had a white Macbook it got dirty not like the iBooks. The black someone on this board recommended MR Clean magic eraser that works really good at keeping it clean. As far as the price goes. The Black is more popular just look on ebay the Blacks always go for more than the whites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
If you got the money for black and want a different looking macbook go for it

OP
P
Reaction score
actually im in india... and here macbooks arent common... at all.. very few ppl even knw wat a mac is.. (altho lately the number of ppl who are becoming aware of macs is increasing like crazy- mainly coz of apple becoming popular here coz of the iphone.. )

so actually out here every1s laptop is black - like the hp compaq dell lenovo etc ones come in mainly black (atleast thats wat most ppl get)

i jus need to knw if the WHITE one has any problems white maintaining.. does it get dirty or no.. + i wudnt mind saving money.. i can use it to get myself and itouch later..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
The white ones seem to stay pretty clean. The keyboard does attract a little dirt though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
I disagree with the statement about the white MacBook looking dull. I think the white is much more unique than the black (or silver from the MacBook pro) that I can see from any other laptop manufacturer.

I've had my white MacBook since November and it looks almost indentical in cleanliness after eight months.

If you're a student then you can get a free iPod touch/nano through the promotion that Apple is currently running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
i agree with the above and for the 10th time (ish) in different posts go refurb

Reaction score
I would get black. Just be warned that fingerprints will show on the black. I don't even worry about them anymore and just wipe it off every few weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
the white does get a little dirty around the palm rests and you can see which keys i press most...but its not hard to clean. its purely down to what you think will make your friends more jealous :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz; iPhone 3G
I've had the white macbook for over a year and it stays pretty clean. I prefer white over the black macbook because I find that white is more elegant. Plus, if everyone around is carrying black, I'd definitely go for the white one.

Price difference between two colours: black macbook is made of steel where as white macbook is made of plastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Is the black macbook really made out of metal?? i thought both the white and black were made out of plastic, getting a blackbook next saturday and am curious

Reaction score
White for:

1. White laptops, to me, is less common across different brands
2. White laptops blend well if your home has a light/fair theme (this my personal perception)
3. While the black is more resistant to dark stains, dust is more visible on it. If you clean the machine regularly, then black or white should not matter much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
I've had the white macbook for over a year and it stays pretty clean. I prefer white over the black macbook because I find that white is more elegant. Plus, if everyone around is carrying black, I'd definitely go for the white one.

Price difference between two colours: black macbook is made of steel where as white macbook is made of plastic.

Yeah i thought it was plastic too but then i saw this. Oh well, still sweet.

OP
P
Reaction score
I disagree with the statement about the white MacBook looking dull. I think the white is much more unique than the black (or silver from the MacBook pro) that I can see from any other laptop manufacturer.

I've had my white MacBook since November and it looks almost indentical in cleanliness after eight months.

If you're a student then you can get a free iPod touch/nano through the promotion that Apple is currently running.

yea i knw.. thts the reason im even considering buying it.. to get the itouch + macbook.. but i went on the official apple forum.. and there is a HUGE thread there of ppl cribbing about the arm rest place of the white macbook becoming yellow and tht its not as sturdy as the old ibooks.. i agree.. white is unique.. coz no1 else manufactures white.. all other laptops that ive seen are silver/black (my current one is an HP special edition with a beautiful bronze top and dull silver finish on the keyboards)

so which mac are u using?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah i thought it was plastic too but then i saw this. Oh well, still sweet.

could you suppy some link to support this?
coz if its metal then i might consider it even more..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.