Airport Problems

I

iamthelevel

I am having trouble with the airport in my G4 powerbook. It seems that my powerbook is recognizing the wi fi network in my house, as it has full bars of reception, but when I go to open iChat or Safari it says that it is unable to connect to the server. I know that it is a problem with my powerbook because the other computers on the wi fi network are functioning properly for access. What could be the cause of this? Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
go into system preferences>network, make sure your location is automatic, and I think under tcp/ip, it should say using dhcp.

OP
A

agentphish

I have had the same problem quite often and i wish apple would fix it... I switch between many places, my house, school, GF's house, and friends houses with wrireless...

What i have found works is making sure i have a new location made for each location im actually at. then setting preferences for those places within the network preferences under the airport settings>TCP/IP sometimes DHCP will work but ONLY after you select the location and renew the DHCP lease.
For some locations i have to actually do a "Manual" input of the IP i want to acquire from the network and input of the router ip and DNS servers etc... Then everything works fine. Private message me if you have more questions.

Peace

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.