G4 Shutting Down Unexpectedly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey there,

was just doing some garageband work when my computer just completely shut down with no warning. i only had a few other apps open. it shut down but restarted by itself. when it restarted, the grey start-up screen came up. but instead of the "apple" there was the circle with the line thru it, like the "no smoking" sign (without the cig of course). i force restarted and it shut down again. i ran a hardware test and everything checked out good. now, its almost 90 deg here and just as hot and maybe even hotter in my apartment. would it shut itself down because of heat? this has never happened before. thanks in advance.

p.s. im installing my air conditioners tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The prohibitory sign on startup following the automatic shut down advises something has gone astray. Could well be the heat and perhaps could have been too much for the Quicksilver to cope with using Gagageband and a 'few other apps open'.

Suggest you zap the pram by holding down the Apple-Alt-P-R keys during reboot until the second chime. Also check the S.M.A.R.T. staus of the HDD in Disk Utility.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SMART status on both disks are "verified". and i'll try the PRAM a little later. ive been using garageband with other apps (safari, amadeus II, idrum) open for years with no problems before, im blaming it on the heat!! (for now......) its been working fine ever since i ran the hardware test. thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Get a can of compressed air and give the heatsink and fan slots getting air in to the case a good dusing

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will do. its about time for a good cleaning anyway. also, after installing my air conditioning, my hard drives are good 20 degrees cooler (according to iStat Pro widget). thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.