MBP Wifi dropping, going up and down... helppppp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
So this hasn't ever happened before. My net has always worked flawlessly until last night when I noticed my bars jumping up and down and constant disconnections. I just assumed maybe our ISP was having some issues and figured it would work itself out. So My fiance is using his winblowz computer and it's working fine, same network, same distance same everything.

I've not changed any of my options, I'm using the same network, sitting where I always sit, and it's just constantly dropping connection. I need to fix it and fast :-/

Anyone know what's going on with it?

I was reading on google about zapping the pram or something by restarting and holding command p and r but that didn't seem to do anything at all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's likely that one of your neighbors just installed a new wireless router and it's conflicting with yours. Start troubleshooting by reading the Wireless Networking FAQ and let us know how you make out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, 30GB iPod Video
It's likely that one of your neighbors just installed a new wireless router and it's conflicting with yours.

Interference would be my first guess. I've had the same thing happen where one computer worked fine yet another was bouncing up and down and throughput was horrible. I changed frequencies on my router and the bad laptop started behaving itself again.

EDIT: You can use iStumbler to see if you've got an interference issue. If there's interference you'll see your signal drop and noise increase, and you can also see other wifi networks that may be using the same channel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
If you change the channel how can you get the mac to find the network?Mine loses it once the channel is changed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you change the channel how can you get the mac to find the network?Mine loses it once the channel is changed.

When you click on the Airport menu, it should scan all of the channels and find the network, providing that SSID is being broadcast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
How do I check that my SSID is being broadcast? I don't think it is. If not, how can I do that?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I check that my SSID is being broadcast? I don't think it is. If not, how can I do that?

It should be one of the settings in your router's configuration web page. Where it is exactly will vary by model, but it's typically under "wireless configuration" or a similar heading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, 160Gb HDD, 8600Gt 256mb, OSX 10.5, 8Gb 3G iPhone, 16Gb Touch
I didn't want to create a new thread, so I just wanted to add a bit onto the OP's query to see if someone could help me out as well in the process.

I'm in almost the same situation, never had problems until last night. Now I suddenly lose the connection, and when I go to click on the Airport/ Network button in the menu, it freezes the menu, and most apps. Forcing me to restart the computer. At first I though it was because I had installed iStat Menu, but after I uninstalled it, it has continued to drop out after varying periods of time. I really have no clue as to what it could be. My mum’s dell is having no problems.

Sorry OP, I’m not trying to hijack the thread. Thanks in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd highly recommend starting with the Wireless Networking FAQ, and if that doesn't address your concerns, let us know and we'll go from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.