Can you use a 1.8Ghz G5 Power supply on a 2.3Ghz?

Reaction score
Do all of the Power Mac G5 power supplies work together? I want to put a 1.8Ghz Power supply in a 2.3 with a dead power supply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I don't think they do.

If you have a look at this site they seem to sell them all - if you can match the part numbers on the 1.8 and 2.3 with the ones on the website you can see if they would be interchangeable. Sorry that's a bit long winded but I can't find much info on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You check it out kt? Closes tomorrow and no bids if it suits your G5!

OP
K
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I plug my powermac in and I don't get anything at all. No light nothing when I push the power button. Is it the power supply or could it be the logic board?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Have you reset the PMU? If you have a volt meter handy, you can check the voltage from the 24-pin power supply connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I was going to say no. I looked on MacTracker and it only lists the maximum watts of each model. It seems the earlier 1.8GHz models used more power than the later model PowerMacs like the 2.3GHz.
You may be safe. But those go bad quite easily. The later models were also liquid cooled. I would hope the system wouldn't require a special kind of power adapter or something.
There was also a recall of Power Macs due to bad power supplies. Check here to see if your PowerMac qualifies. It would be repaired for free if it qualifies.
I would also consider that if a power supply goes down, it can take down the logic board and processor with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
You can reset the PMU(Power Management Unit) by pressing the button located near the RAM slots. Press the button once and then try to power-on the machine again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.