USB or Firewire mixer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook PRO, iPhone 3G
If I'm going to record in real-time (not just copy audio files to the HD), would it be better to get a mixer that has USB or Firewire outputs?

Or should I just use analog RCA outs on the mixer to the analog mini-in on the Mac?

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
FireWire. It's a constant speed (and a fast speed, by the way)

Reaction score
ooo whats so bad about USB? just wondering. Doesn't usb 2.0 have a faster transfer rate?

Reaction score
I would go with firewire myself, as even though usb has a higher 'rated' speed of 480mbps i think it is. However firewire usually has better throughput speeds of both up and down as firewire devices are 'intelligent' and can control bus conflicts (which is to do with data transfer). Pretty sure they get lower latency too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
I have a firewire interface and it seems to work perfectly.

Reaction score
I am a new user to mac (pc user for over 15 + yrs) and decided to make the switch. Seems now I made have made a HUGE mistake due to the problems with the firewire and audio interfaces. I bought my MBP for audio and video and now it could be useless for the audio. But I am curious as why everyone is claiming that you just can't change to a USB2 interface to get away from firewire. I was at my local music store today and that is what 2 sales people recommended. I had replied that firewire seems to be the preference for audio interfaces. I still haven't found a reputable source for the comparison other then many people claiming latency issues, but is this a fact or just talk? Don't take this the wrong way, I am not saying comments in the forums aren't true, but let's face it, how can we know for sure if someone knows what the **** they are talking about. Would be nice to here from many others to this to see what is what. I still bought a firewire audio interface when I left the store (presonus firebox) but yet to test it as I am still waiting for my MBP to arrive shortly. I just hope I don't have the problems others have said from many others forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook PRO, iPhone 3G
After posting my original question and reading responses here, other forums, and recording magazine archives, it seems to be the consensus is firewire is best for Mac and USB is best for PCs as that's their respective native systems.

The newer Macs supposdly also work fine with USB, but I couldn't find anybody to actually uses it "for audio" to confirm it.

I went firewire and it works perfectly.

- Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
ooo whats so bad about USB? just wondering. Doesn't usb 2.0 have a faster transfer rate?

USB has a faster throughput rate at 480 mbps. However that rate is burst only, not sustained and the average is far lower. Firewire has a sustained constant speed of 400 mbps and once it reaches that it stays there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.