New to iTunes, need some help.

Reaction score
So in the very near future (likely this weekend). I'll be making my transition from the world of Bill Gates, to the world of Steve Jobs.

One thing that has me concerned however, is iTunes. And heres why.

Buddy of mine has an iPod/iTunes setup. He brought a new mp3 with him to work one day and wanted me to check it out. So we plugged the iPod into my IBM thinkpad at work, and attempted to do a simple copy/paste off the iPod to my drive. Not so simple. Seems iTunes completely renamed the file structure on his mp3s when viewed via a windows based PC.

ex.

"Metallica - One.mp3" would appear as "FJXCND"

I'd then have to go into the file and rename it on my PC. Not such a large issue when dealing with 1-2 files. But 10+ and you can start to see a problem.

This is a concern for me while considering purchasing a Mac, because I still use PC technology. Whether it be at home or in the office. Am I going to be faced with this kind of issue from now on? Or was there a way to avoid it that I wasn't aware of at the time.

Hope I explained my situation clear enough.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere are many programs on the mac to back-up or retrieve music on an ipod.

One such is the free Senuti, you can copy tour ipod tracks of, preserving all the original filenames (as seen in itunes, not the filenames in the iPOds hidden music folder) and tags

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
i recommend music rescue its very good
i have an ipod classic with over 40 gigs off music (not to mention the films)
its free and simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
So in the very near future (likely this weekend). I'll be making my transition from the world of Bill Gates, to the world of Steve Jobs.

One thing that has me concerned however, is iTunes. And heres why.

Buddy of mine has an iPod/iTunes setup. He brought a new mp3 with him to work one day and wanted me to check it out. So we plugged the iPod into my IBM thinkpad at work, and attempted to do a simple copy/paste off the iPod to my drive. Not so simple. Seems iTunes completely renamed the file structure on his mp3s when viewed via a windows based PC.

ex.

"Metallica - One.mp3" would appear as "FJXCND"

I'd then have to go into the file and rename it on my PC. Not such a large issue when dealing with 1-2 files. But 10+ and you can start to see a problem.

This is a concern for me while considering purchasing a Mac, because I still use PC technology. Whether it be at home or in the office. Am I going to be faced with this kind of issue from now on? Or was there a way to avoid it that I wasn't aware of at the time.

Hope I explained my situation clear enough.
Thanks in advance!

Theres a program i used called "Music Rescue". Google it, download it, plug your iPod into the Mac, and Music Rescue will copy all your music and videos onto iTunes. I had 25+ GB to transfer, so it took a long time for me, but it worked without any problems. The only thing I didn't like about Music Rescue is that it will ask you if you want to donate to them via pop up. and it interrupts the transfer, so you have to sit at the computer and wait for the message to pop up. It became tedious, but my music and videos are all perfect now. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.