Boot Camp: Installing Windows WITHOUT disc drive

Reaction score
hi, don't know if this is any help, but it's quite easy to create a bootable copy of xp on a usb drive (if anyone has installed on a eeepc, you'll know what i mean)

EEEguides.com: Install Windows XP on the Asus Eee PC

but first off, you'll probably need to create a .iso image of the windows files to get on your usb drive, use this little program:

3epc User Portal - XP3eSD Utility

I'm not sure of how it'll work on boot camp (having a few probs myself WITH the disc! see my thread if you reckon you can help!)

anyway, hope that helps!

Reaction score
so here's what I found out from one of the IT guys at my school. I can't remember exactly the terms he used, but basically, even though Mac OS X can boot from a USB drive, Windows can't because it runs differently. (Unless I suppose you create a bootable copy like Rik above suggests). Anyway, I did end up getting my internal optical drive fixed, so now I'm good to go. Thank you all for your help though :)

Reaction score
have you ever fixed this?

yeah, i've tried that... the cd is recognized as windows, but it still says "no bootable device"

really, i could get my internal fixed if that's the problem... but if it's something else, than i'd rather just leave my drive be for the meantime... (hah i hope that makes sense).

Hi I have the exact same situation, same problem.
broken internal drive, trying to install XP, "no bootable device"

Macbook Pro 2007.

Were you ever able to fix this ?

Can you please reply to my email -
Thank you !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First... the post you replied to is close to three years old. Very unlikely you'll get any kind of answer.

And secondly, no one is going to reply to your email address. When you post to these forums you are expected to return to get replies. You can subscribe to the thread and you will be notified by email when replies are posted.

Third, there are various methods posted on the net on how to install Windows on your Mac without using a disk drive. You can probably find several by using a search engine. Or search our forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.