HD Enclosuer

cas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
Hello
I just bought a HD enclosuer to use an old HD from a pc i used to use. its dead now. So i wanted to use the hd as external.
So when i tryed to use the HD on my macbook, i can only read it, but not writo or erase. I though that maybe connecting it to a PC selectin it, and uncheck the 'Read only' (i dont know how to do that on mac). But it didnt work.
So when i was looking for something to to with it, int he information of the disk it says the formtat is: Windows NT file system.
So i thought it could be that. I just wanted to be sure before formating it.
By the way, if i have t format it, whak kind of fomat should i use to make it compatible with Win and Mac?
thanx
n_n

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
NTFS as you've found is only readable from mac os without a 3rd party solution. You can try Paragon or NTFS-3G with MacFuse which will let you read and write.

Alternatively you can reformat it as FAT32 which is read/write friendly for mac and windows but isn't as robust as ntfs.

A search on this forum will gives you lots of info, pros cons of each etc.

OP
cas

cas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
THANX! :D
ill look around the forumn
n_n

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Unless you NEED to share this drive with a PC, your best option is to format it for the Mac native format. You will get the best performance and most compatibility that way. I would recommend it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.