Thinking of getting MacBook, software questions.

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first posting.

I've really always been a PC guy, but have messed with old black and white MacClassics a few years ago running System 6.

We got a new Vista family computer last Christmas- really disgusted with that pretty looking OS, ended up installing XP.

My main peraonal computer is a 7 year old Toshiba XP 2.4ghz PC which has gotten a little busted up over the years- and looking to replace it this fall.

I've tried "escaping" microsoft with using Linux Suse 10.2 for a while, but find it EXTREMELY difficult to get the Window$ programs I need for everyday use working properly. I've spent countless hours and finally gave up.

Some of my productive programs are Lightwave 3d v9 www.newtek.com , Adobe Photoshop CS3, and a handful of other smaller graphics applications.

But I'd still really like to get away from Microsoft, and I really DON'T want to buy a Vista notebook, and since Linux SUSE didn't work out I'm looking at MAC.

Probably the most important question I have is:
1. Does ALL Windows based program run under Bootcamp?
2. How well do they run? Does performance suffer? If so, how bad?

3. I'm used to a 15 inch diagnal screen, and I noticed the current MAC selection is only 13 inch.
That seems like it would be a downgrade for me, but I also noticed the screen ratio is different. For those who have made a similar transition- what is your opinion about this?
I can pick up a 15 inch PC notebook for far less, but then I'll be getting the Vista OS that I loathe.

Do you think I'd be happier with a Mac?

-Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
No, there are the 15" MacBook Pros. Running boot camp runs Windows natively, or maybe better. All Windows programs should run on boot camp. If they don't, that would surprise me. I went from a Toshiba Satellite laptop to my MacBook (my scheme is right under my avatar ;) ) and I have loved it so far. I don't plan on running Windows ever again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
to run windows applications under boot camp you have to install a version of windows (xp or vista) if you are not interested in the the mac os you are basically paying to run widows on an apple branded computer.

as stated above mbp's have a 15.4" screen. When i made the switch i went from a 15.4"screen to the 13.3". it took about a week to get use to the size differance. i personally love the spaces program in the leopard. to me it makes the screen size not an issue as i can switch between the different screens

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
It's reassuring to know the Win apps that I have should run without trouble.
When I was running the Linux SUSE I had a mind to weene off of Windows, and migrate onto apps for that platform.

But to set up those applications proved too time consuming for this novice and gave up (mainly locating program dependancies and eliminating conflicts)

Although I'm not looking forward to learning whole new software packages, I'd be willing to do so, and I assume installing MAC programs is at least as easy compared to Windows.

I've not yet researched what apps are available for MAC, seems like a good place for me to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Although I'm not looking forward to learning whole new software packages, I'd be willing to do so, and I assume installing Mac programs is at least as easy compared to Windows.

It's MUCH easier than windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I would get a Macbook Pro...15.4 inch LED backlit widescreen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
A lot of things are available for Mac now - and if you can't get what you had before you can bet someone's come up with a Mac replacement. Certainly things like CS3 are readily available and we've also got Office '08 if that's something you use.

Installation is nice and easy as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
A 15" display on a PC that old probably runs at 1024x768. The macbook's 13" runs at 1280x800, so you get more space, just on a smaller screen. I love it, its much better than my 17" 4:3 ratio monitor. The Macbook has a much clearer screen with the higher resolution.

Remember, there is a program called Crossover. You install it in OSX, and it is supposed to run Windows programs in OSX. I haven't tried it, but on youtube people use it for games and stuff. If I remember right, its about $40. Much cheaper than a copy of windows.

I just dualboot because I already had an unused copy of Vista Ultimate, and it runs good on my Macbook. Anything less will probably run even better if possible. :)

Yes, you will be much happier with a Mac. If you are going to be doing 3d rendering, you should go with a Macbook Pro. My Macbook runs Photoshop CS fine, but I dont know how it would do with 3d rendering. The Macbook has an Intel GMA X3100 while the Macbook Pro has an Nvidia 8600? Not sure, but the MBP definately has a much better graphics card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
A 15" display on a PC that old probably runs at 1024x768. The macbook's 13" runs at 1280x800, so you get more space, just on a smaller screen. I love it, its much better than my 17" 4:3 ratio monitor. The Macbook has a much clearer screen with the higher resolution.

Remember, there is a program called Crossover. You install it in OSX, and it is supposed to run Windows programs in OSX. I haven't tried it, but on youtube people use it for games and stuff. If I remember right, its about $40. Much cheaper than a copy of windows.

I just dualboot because I already had an unused copy of Vista Ultimate, and it runs good on my Macbook. Anything less will probably run even better if possible. :)

Yes, you will be much happier with a Mac. If you are going to be doing 3d rendering, you should go with a Macbook Pro. My Macbook runs Photoshop CS fine, but I dont know how it would do with 3d rendering. The Macbook has an Intel GMA X3100 while the Macbook Pro has an Nvidia 8600? Not sure, but the MBP definately has a much better graphics card.

Crossover only works with certain applications...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
screen is fine macbook unless you need a lot of space.
but that is what spaces is for...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Crossover only works with certain applications...

Right. I wasn't too sure. In that case, Boot Camp will work fine. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.