Samsung Spinpoint f1 750gb on 2006 Mac Pro - Help!

Reaction score
Hey, I just ordered a spinpoint f1 750gb internal hd for my 2006 mac pro and it won't physically connect. Am I missing something? Cause these drives are compatible with Mac Pros - is mine too old (2.66ghz quad core)?

This is really quite urgent cause my 750gb my book pro external hard drive started messing up yesterday and took many restarts and port swaps for it to work and I really want to back up everything in case it doesn't work again.

I'm reallllly confused.

Thank you.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Does the connection look like either of these?

sata.jpg

If the connection looks like the top HD, you bought the right HD. If it looks like the second, you bought the wrong HD.
However, the optical drive (DVD burner) still uses that older connection as seen in the bottom photo and there is a second connection for it. You could use the second optical drive ribbon to attach the HD if you need an immediate fix.

OP
Nocturnity
Reaction score
it looks like neither lol!

here's a pciture (apologies for the fisheye - my other lenses are in the car)

2556496066_53a4bf5773_o.jpg

thank you for getting back to me =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the top drive in the photo I attached.
you are sure you mounted it tightly to the drive sled and reinserted the sled properly? It should fit perfectly.

OP
Nocturnity
Reaction score
well they are similar but not the same I have the seagate barracuda drive already - I've taken a picture of them both. Samsungs on the right - look at the additional pins on the left of the right drive.
2556568670_da7e1db320_o.jpg

I didn't want to risk putting a hard drive in with different connections incase I bent the pins (it's happened before!). I have no *gently* inserted it and it does fit. However I get this warning message upon boot - what should I do?
2556568510_9ae85c6bf3_o.png

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
open disk utility and format it. It's probably formatted for Windows.

OP
Nocturnity
Reaction score
yeah - it works fine now! Thank you!

Do you know what those extra pins on the hard drive are for? That's what worried me a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a clue. They aren't used by the Mac. It only uses the two pin connections on the right side of the drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.