Msn for Macs- questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
Hey so im really new to the whole mac thing annnnd i just download microsoft messenger (i hope its the right one) annnd i dont know how to use the microphone or webcam. Can you even use the webcam with hotmail and msn? i have no idea. Help please!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey Shortyrulesall,

Welcome to the forums and to the Mac World :D

For MSN, you are pretty much out of luck. The MSN Client for Mac from Microsoft is... Garbage simply put. It doesn't support Webcam or the Mic. I'd recommend using aMSN for the Webcam but last time I checked aMSN it was only Video no Audio, but they might have updated that, last time I messed around with it was over 3 months ago.

Since I switched to Mac I've been using Skype a lot for all my Video Conferencing needs, easy, simple and of course Free.

You might want to check out Adium as well for an alternative MSN client the interface on Adium is neat and you can use it for more than just MSN.

Cheers

MMM

OP
shortyrulesall
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
haha wow. kay so aMSN (where would i get it?, im so lost) and if Adium supports normal msn then id do that although i dont really know how:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16|4GB Ram|120GB HDD//iPhone 8GB Hack3d//
there is a normal version of MSN for mac just type in msn for mac in google :) later you have Mercury Messenger that uses msn client and you can video chat and speak but i think that the new version of MSN for mac supports the video chat. and i n my opinion ADIUM and SKype is beter :) just try and adding MSN client on adium is really easy :)

Reaction score
webcam

I am new to the mac thing too, always favoured PCs. I have a brand new macbook pro and I wanna use the built in camera as webcam. Is that possible? Please help me!

Reaction score
MSN on a mac is not very clean for Webcam/Audio PERIOD.

Mercury works for Webcam/Audio but it's a horrible client. Do a google search for "Mercury mac os x" and you'll find it.

For Adium, again, use google.. "Adium download"

Adium/Mercury are alternate clients that you can use to connect to msn. You must download and install them, then ask questions when/if? if you get stuck.

As for using your webcam natively on the mac, use iChat. iChat supports AIM and .Mac/MobileME connections with Video/Audio flawlessly.

I'm afraid if you want to use Video with MSN then you have to do some searching. This has been covered all over the place for a couple years. GOOGLE "Msn Video Chat Mac osx" and you'll find a plethora of information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.