Please help to remove 'read only' status from a document sent to me by e-mail

Reaction score
I am a new user of Mac. I have received an indesign document by email that I need to edit and send back. The document is 'read only' and I don't know how to remove the read only status in order to edit it.
Thanks a lot.
God bless you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
im afraid i dont think you can mate. im not an expert on this but im guessing the person who sent it to you made it read only, and so you need to get them to send you a non-read only version.
or, and im fairly new to macs too so i have no idea if this works...but ctrl click then get info, at the bottom under sharing and permissions see if you can de-select the read only box. not sure if you can or not, but worth having a look.
hope this helps,
luke

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks lukenn77. I was not able to deselect the read only status. I will just wait on the sender to change the situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
This may work.

Select the item and right click and "get info"

You will see a list of selectable menus, the bottom one is "sharing and permissions"

If you click on it and then click on the lock that is at the bottom right. It will ask you to enter your password and after you enter it. It may let you change it to "read only" or "read & write".

Hope this works.

EDIT : Sorry this is was already posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This may also work, although it requires a journey into Terminal-land.

Let's assume that the document in question is called "myfile.123", and that it is read only, and that it is in your home directory. If it isn't in your home directory, please move it there before proceeding. Let's further assume that your userid is "myuserid".

Start Terminal.app (from your Utilities folder). Enter the following command:

Code:
chmod +w myfile.123
This command changes the permission bits of the file, in this case turning on the write permission bit. This may resolve the issue.

If you get an error from this command, try this next step. Enter the following two commands:

Code:
sudo chown myuserid: myfile.123
(enter your administrator password when prompted)

chmod +w myfile.123

The first command changes the owner of the file to yourself. The second is the same command from above.

With any luck, one of these two will do the trick for you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, to all.
I found out why the document was 'read only', although I don't understand the mechanism. When I had downloaded the document from the sender, I had placed it in the Macintosh Hard drive icon on the desktop. When I removed it from there and placed it on the desktop or in 'Documents', it was a normal file that I could edit. Again thanks to all.
God was helping me to find the answer. That's how it should be among believers. We do all we can to help one another and God does the rest.
God bless you all.
Carl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.