SMB/CIFS File System Authentication

Reaction score
I have a re-occurring issue with users getting prompted to login to a SMB/CIFS server. The users connect to a smb file share that is located on this server. They can connect to the share, but sometimes they will get the message attached and it keeps popping up even though they put in there network credintials. These macs are connected to a network that uses AD authentication. The Macs are not connect to the domain, but they access these shares by mounting them everytime they are needed. This message will come up sometime even when they are not connected to any shares. Its strange. Rebooting resolves the issue for awhile, but then the issue will just appears again. It may be possible that some app that they are using that hits this server, but I dont think so. Any help will be much appreciated.

Picture4.png

Reaction score
I suggest that the users remove any relevant existing entries from their KeyChain store, esp if they had changed their password and it still uses their old password in the keychain.

Then when they connect again, tick the option to store it in their Keychain

OP
S
Reaction score
I tried this and it last awhile and then the issue occurs again even if there password does not change.

OP
S
Reaction score
SMB File Share Issue

We recently setup a samba share on our net app storage. Our Mac users running 10.4 and 10.5 have run into a small problem. If you try and capitalize a file name we receive an error:

The name “File Name” with extension “.ext” is already taken. Please chose a different name.

If we rename the file we have not issues. Anyone know of a work around? I did a bit of research and it looks like this is an issue with 10.4 and 10.5 with no fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.