• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD speed problems

Reaction score
OK, I have figured out how to make all of the menus and everything I want in iDVD. Problem is, they take FOREVER to make. I am in a hurry to get these dvd's done, and for some reason it is taking 4+ hours to encode the menus and video. I have no idea why it would take this long. On my Linux machine, it would take MAYBE 1.5 hours to encode and burn a DVD with the same amount of video. That is also with a 3 year old Gateway laptop. The specs on my Macbook (brand new Penryn) extremely outweigh that laptop, but it still takes longer. Is there any way to fix this? Why is it happening?

Also, I was wondering if it was possible to just create the menu in iDVD and place the already encoded video files in there afterwards? It would take much less time for me to encode the video on my Linux machine and just insert it into the DVD after the menu was made. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'd compare the quality of that 1.5 hour render and the one done in iDVD. There are settings in the Project Info window that you can change to speed up the render. Look at the Encoding popup selection. Check the Help to figure out which is appropriate for your intention.

Perhaps you can speed up the render slightly by saving as a disc image or to a Video_TS folder. Then use Toast for the final burn.

I've always wondered about your second question, but don't recall seeing anyone having done that. I wonder if you could make a short DVD, save as a Video_TS folder, and swap in your longer content rendered from another machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.