• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

DTV converter box question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Not sure to post this here or in Other Hardware and Peripherals. Mods, move thread if necessary. :[

I haven't purchased my converter yet. I don't have cable TV, so I know I'll need the converter by February '09. For those of you who have one already, a question for you:

I've got rabbit ears for the TV, and unfortunately, I can barely get 3 major networks. ABC comes in the clearest, though not perfect. NBC is watchable, and CBS is very fuzzy. Everything else - Fox, PBS, etc - doesn't come in at all. So we don't watch a lot of TV, just movies.

With this converter box, will my reception be clearer than what I have now? I'm hoping this box will allow me to receive more channels than the rabbit ears could ever pull in.

Thanks always for your input!
G

BTW: Which converter do you have or recommend?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a few poor friends with Rabbit Ears who can not afford cable and need the box, so I was wondering the same thing so I can tell my friends that keep asking me. If anyone has tried it, please let us all know.

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing.

I'd love it if it did.
It's not that we can't afford cable, we are satisfied with the 4 channels we have.
Television is overrated.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I googled "dtv converter box" and found this CNET review page for different boxes. It's last update was April '08.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6487_7-6613951.html

It lists the RCA DTA800 as a favorite. Walmart has this particular model (I was there today), but they were out of stock. Their price was $50, so with the $40 coupon you only pay $10. Not bad. I think I'll get this one. Gotta wait for my coupon first.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering the same thing.

I'd love it if it did.
It's not that we can't afford cable, we are satisfied with the 4 channels we have.
Television is overrated.

We only watch Lost, Dancing with the Stars, Heroes, and sometimes Deal or No Deal. Now that those shows are done, we'll be watching more movies. Besides, the best time for us to watch tv or movies is when our 2 girls are asleep. Otherwise they both blabber on and we can't hear or concentrate on a show. Can I get an "Amen!" lol

Reaction score
I googled "dtv converter box" and found this CNET review page for different boxes. It's last update was April '08.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6487_7-6613951.html

It lists the RCA DTA800 as a favorite. Walmart has this particular model (I was there today), but they were out of stock. Their price was $50, so with the $40 coupon you only pay $10. Not bad. I think I'll get this one. Gotta wait for my coupon first.
I have 2 $40 coupons that expire TODAY.
I'm confused, is the coupon for $40 OFF or $40 each box.
Someone told me that coupon would only be $10 off a $50 box, making it $40, but that doesn't make much sense.
If i'm only paying $10 a box i'll go out and get one today....

Reaction score
Nevermind, clicked your link.
Looks like i'll be getting some boxes today! :)

Reaction score
The Box works best with an outside antenna the ones like we used back in the 50's. Do not be fooled that a special Dtv antenna is needed thats not true,just the old style outside job will do. In my area the stations brodcast several Dtv stations like on 8.1,8.2 etc, Theres a weather channel and old 60's 70's retro channel. Some channels are in HD and others in Dtv.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for the heads up Mac SK. I was wondering if it would work now and you answered my question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I've read that you must be pretty close to a tower to get a signal to come through. The older analog systems just get fuzzy but the newer DTV signal will just cut out if there isn't enough "signal" there. (That is what I have read, not witnessed. The wife and I are looking at getting some for our trailer for when we go out and about. Someone please correct me if they know differently.)

Reaction score
Yes there are still bugs to be worked out some stations here are still upgradeing and sometimes the picture will freeze and pixelate. Have less trouble with the outside antenna setup,our stations towers are in several places and how you aim the antenna helps some but not others come in better. The box has a better tuner in it than my Philips Hdtv and I use both as the Philps will not pick up some of the high end UHF stations very well.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nevermind, clicked your link.
Looks like i'll be getting some boxes today! :)

Tanner, which box did you decide on? The RCA that I mentioned? Whichever you purchased, please post your results.

The coupon is for $40 off the regular price. $50 box - $40 coupon = you pay $10.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an RCA here but have not set it up for my neighbor as yet. I am told it's the best one overall. I know 3 people with the RCA so far.

Reaction score
I got the the Zenith DTT900. Its smaller and takes up less space.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An update:

One of my coworkers just told me that he recently got his converter box and it works beautifully. Previously fuzzy channels now come in in crystal clarity, as though he has cable TV. Wow. If I had known that long ago, I could have watched Lost in greater reception. :Not-Amused:

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my coupon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.