leaving Eudora, where to go?

Reaction score
Which other mail clients do you know that are as robust, fast and reliable as Eudora is?

Knowing that apple mail has had its fair share of unreliability and still doesn't handle very large mailboxes well, which other mac mail client is fast searching through 10 GB of emails?

I've been using Eudora for longer then I can remember. It's always done the job for me FAST and RELIABLY over thousands of emails (over 10 GB of emails without counting the attachments, collected over almost 20 years). But since it is moving to thunderbird I hear only horror stories ...

MailSmith could have done it, but it is no longer being developed and with apple going intel-only next January ...

So, where to go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Why go anywhere?

I am also using Eudora, and so far have not found anything as flexible. Eudora still runs fine and does what I need it to

I've heard that the classic Eudora gets a little flakier in Leopard, but that's not a problem for me yet. I'm not worried too much about the Thunderbird-Eudora horror stories, since it's still very much in development and not ready for release. (It's still in beta...real, not-ready-for-prime-time beta, not Google's we're-never-going-to-release-it-any-other-way beta.) I'll consider it when it is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Which other mail clients do you know that are as robust, fast and reliable as Eudora is? So, where to go?

I agree heartily with technologist ie. stay with it. Eudora is still the best email client around, in my view. I've tried Apple Mail and Thunderbird, just to compare, and E whacks them on nearly every count. I'm using v 6.2.4 and it does almost everything without fault. Okay, some criticize it for not handling html better, but it was never designed for that, and it does give you the option of opening a html document in a browser - your choice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also agree with Tech completely.

On the other hand though, I have yet to have an issue with Mail and VERY LARGE mailboxes. I am a big fan of Eudora and on my PC have very large mailboxes and agree with you, but never had an issue with Mail either with years of saved emails from friends.

OP
Z
Reaction score
... I have yet to have an issue with Mail and VERY LARGE mailboxes ... but never had an issue with Mail either with years of saved emails from friends.

Well, I have. I'm running 2 mail clients to separate my personal emails and my business emails. Eudora contains 10 GB of emails without counting the attachments (mails since '89) while Mail contains 7 GB of emails with attachments. On big mailboxes, mail needs (lengthy) mailbox rebuilds and mails have occasionally disappeared.

... I'm using v 6.2.4 and it does almost everything without fault. Okay, some criticize it for not handling html better, but it was never designed for that, and it does give you the option of opening a html document in a browser - your choice.

Wouldn't think of using the thunderbird eudora - I'm on 6.2.4 too. It does occasionally crash in Leo and seems to have issues filling up the HD between restarts (with ram cache that doesn't clear on quit or memory leaks?). Add that in 10.6 due Jan next year we'll be forced to forget eudora (sniff) and the new version takes forever to advance, so won't be ready by ever. I don't care for HTML - email is about text that can be read by everyone, not html that is designed for a certain engine ... I'm old school!

But back to the main question, who to entrust my big mailboxes for the next 10 years? I've added a poll, let's see what comes out of it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am very Old School also and like I said love Eudora, but it's getting a bit touchy especially under Leopard. I would have suggested Thunderbird since you have issues with Mail, but after your comments about Eudora being redone by Mozilla I thought it might bother you.

I voted for Thunderbird in the poll as I feel it will be almost for sure supported for years to come and it's multi platform, so I can run it on anything down the road.

OP
Z
Reaction score
how can we attract more attention to this poll? I think it is interesting for everyone to know since we use email every day of our lives ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am really kind of surprised more have not at least voted in the poll or made a comment. Have you tried Thunderbird with your large mail boxes? Was curious how it ran.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
I came across this thread while searching for "mail crashes" as Apple Mail has "quit unexpectedly" on the order of once every two days since I began using my Mac just before Christmas. I was thinking of switching to Thunderbird. Seeing that the comments here are a year and a half old, I was hoping someone would care to update their comments on Thunderbird vs. Mail. I love Eudora, too, but I don't see the point in getting involved with it now as it's as far as it's going to go.

Reaction score
Thunderbird all the way! I have learned never to trust proprietary software...especially after the last time I helped someone migrate their email from Eudora to something else...might have even been to simply another version of Eudora!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
Thanks....that's one of the thoughts I had. The other is that since Thunderbird is an active project, bugs will get fixed and improvements will be made. I downloaded it last night; now I've got about 10 POP accounts to set up........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4 15" Aluminum
Need HTML Enabled POP3 Client

I've been searching and searching for an OS X email client that works like Outlook, Outlook Express, or even Yahoo! Mail. I even started using a new free IMAP program called, "RoundCube", that handles HTML with aplomb.

I'm disgusted that Entourage is unable to compose HTML, yet it display HTML messages just fine.

I'm used to dragging sections of a Web page into the body of a message, and have all links, fonts and images function. Is there any current email program for OS X capable of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
O'Neill ponders

Challenge is that I have is running MS Exchange Server. None of these save Apple mail run Exchange I believe. I'm eagerly awaiting Outlook (MAC) because hopefully it may be better than Mail - who knows..

What's the latest incarnation of Entourage like?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.