Two problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
For the last two days I have left my computer on for a period of 24/day, using it from 5:30 to about 12:00 and letting it download a fairly large torrent file during the night and day. When I'm not at my computer I use ctrl-shift-eject to turn off my screen, so that I let the torrent download in the background, but not having the screen run.

So, the problem: When I came back yesterday and today at about 5:30 and shook the mouse to turn on the screen I found iTunes, Mail and Finder not responding (beach-ball style) and when I tried to force-quit, it wouldn't... like the command did nothing :( So therefore I was forced to shutdown my computer by holding the power button at the back of my iMac, and then starting up. Why is this freezing happening? It's happened twice and only happens when I shut down the screen from 8:10 am to 5:30 pm (and not from 12:00 am to 7:30 am). I would really not like to shut down the computer like that because:

a) Something might happen when I shut down the computer like that.
b) Its inconvenient.
and c) the next problem

Again, when coming back to the computer and finding Mail, iTunes, and even Finder Not Responding, I had to shut down.
The only app (running) that responded was Transmission for torrents. So before I powered down my computer, I properly quit Transmission.

But when I turned my computer back on, the Torrent progress went from 20% to 14% ( and this is a big file ) why did this happen, isn't it supposed to save progress before it quits?

All help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
How large, exactly, is this torrent DL?

Reaction score
Well, I'm just speculating about the second problem, but if you had to shut down the computer the way you did, Transmission didn't have an opportunity to shut down correctly. Maybe a lot of information was just in the cache and hadn't had a chance to write to disk yet. It probably had to do a lot of rechecking that all the information was correct.

Not sure why it would all freeze up like that. I think I've done that on a few occasions and came back and everything was fine. Maybe try quitting all other apps other than transmission before you go to sleep? idk.

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How large, exactly, is this torrent DL?

its about 3.3 GB but the d/l speed varies from 1 Kb/s to max. 20 Kb/s (and thats really rare) even though there are 120+ seeders...

in fact my constant upload speed is 20 kb/s

but yeah, 3.3 GB

OP
kmkl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm just speculating about the second problem, but if you had to shut down the computer the way you did, Transmission didn't have an opportunity to shut down correctly. Maybe a lot of information was just in the cache and hadn't had a chance to write to disk yet. It probably had to do a lot of rechecking that all the information was correct.

Not sure why it would all freeze up like that. I think I've done that on a few occasions and came back and everything was fine. Maybe try quitting all other apps other than transmission before you go to sleep? idk.

No, see I quit Transmission properly before shutting down the computer improperly...

And I simply forgot to turn off the other apps the second time around. But Finder! come on Finder!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.