What is the longest amount of time your MBP has been running without shutting down?

Reaction score
I got this MBP a few months ago when the latest upgrade came out. I have a 2.4 GHz with still 2GB of memory. Typically I shut down every night, specifically because teh machine get so hot. I would love to let it run overnight while I do some data transfers, however I am afraid I may burn my house down.

I have two questions, please answer both unless the second one does not apply to you:

1) what is the longest amount of time you have left your MBP up and running without a shutdown?
2) If you use an application like InsominiaX to allow the MBP to operate with a closed lid, what is teh amount of time you have let that run without a shutdown?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
The grammar/spelling Nazi in me is very disappointed with you right now.

That said, I routinely leave my MB running for a week at a time and just close it or put it to sleep when it isn't being used. My current uptime is 4D 1H 46M.

You aren't going to burn your house down by leaving it on overnight.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ha, I am pretty critical of grammar/spelling when I read other posts on message boards. I typically always spell 'the' as 'teh' due to my rapid hunt and peck style. I am very ashamed of some of my grammatical mistakes though.

Back to my question - I am not concerned about leaving it on overnight in sleep mode. I am more concerned about leaving it with active processes running, specifically Transmission.

EDIT: AngryGreek, I hope my grammar/spelling in this post meets your approval. HA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Haha.

I don't have a MBP, but I do have a PB. It's never on very long because I often boot from USB/FW/ODD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
Ha, I am pretty critical of grammar/spelling when I read other posts on message boards. I typically always spell 'the' as 'teh' due to my rapid hunt and peck style. I am very ashamed of some of my grammatical mistakes though.

Back to my question - I am not concerned about leaving it on overnight in sleep mode. I am more concerned about leaving it with active processes running, specifically Transmission.

EDIT: AngryGreek, I hope my grammar/spelling in this post meets your approval. HA!

I still doubt you would have any issues. I mean, if it doesn't catch on fire while you are running that stuff during the day, it shouldn't do so at night. Macs aren't going to suddenly become evil village-burning machines just because it is dark outside. I leave mine up with a torrent or two at night every so often, and haven't seen any adverse effects yet.

Just make sure it has decent airflow where you put it, and I don't see any issues arising from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
OP
Z
Reaction score
I leave mine up with a torrent or two at night every so often

What's a torrent? I was talking about the Transmission on my car.

I see what you are talking about making sure there is the correct ventilation. On the rare occasion that I have left it on overnight, I have left it on its right side with the lid open.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I got this MBP a few months ago when the latest upgrade came out. I have a 2.4 GHz with still 2GB of memory. Typically I shut down every night, specifically because teh machine get so hot. I would love to let it run overnight while I do some data transfers, however I am afraid I may burn my house down.

I have two questions, please answer both unless the second one does not apply to you:

1) what is the longest amount of time you have left your MBP up and running without a shutdown?

2) If you use an application like InsominiaX to allow the MBP to operate with a closed lid, what is teh amount of time you have let that run without a shutdown?

Thanks!

1) I suppose you mean without letting the machine go to sleep too? If so, probably 12 hours or so. I don't really experience heat issues with it unless I'm really running something intensive on it.

2) I don't leave it running with the lid closed, period. Frankly, the lid inhibits natural heat dissipation and if Apple intended it to run while closed, they would have offered the option in Energy Saver. If I want something to run overnight, I just turn the backlight off on the display and leave the lid open. Another side benefit to doing that is that the fans don't have to work as hard, thereby lengthening their lifespan.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Some silly questions -

1) How do I turn backlight off? InsomniaX allows you to Sleep Display which turns off the screen and the Apple logo in the back (is this the backlight?)
2) Is sleeping the system like Sleep or Hibernate in Windows, where you wouldnt be able to run applications while in one of those modes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Without shutting down/restarting but including sleeping, I've hit almost 50 days straight with my Macbook. When you don't include sleeping, I think that number hits somewhere in the 20 day range.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Some silly questions -

1) How do I turn backlight off? InsomniaX allows you to Sleep Display which turns off the screen and the Apple logo in the back (is this the backlight?)

Just keep pushing the brightness down key (F1) until the backlight turns off. Yes, the backlight also lights the Apple logo.

2) Is sleeping the system like Sleep or Hibernate in Windows, where you wouldnt be able to run applications while in one of those modes?

It's more like Standby in Windows. Well, except that it actually works as intended most of the time. That is to say, the system is still turned on, but there's just enough power to keep the contents of memory working. But the major functions shut down, including the CPU. The nice thing is that it turns back on to where you were when you closed the lid, and it's available almost instantly.

Reaction score
What's a torrent? I was talking about the Transmission on my car.

I see what you are talking about making sure there is the correct ventilation. On the rare occasion that I have left it on overnight, I have left it on its right side with the lid open.

omg you guys dont know whAt a torrent file is??!

anyway i do the same i leave it everyday lol, untill vista just wants to restart ):

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Personally, I often leave it on 24/7 but as I fly for a living (and it comes with me) inevitably it gets turned off.

I often leave it downloading binary files, whilst it IS warm it's never TOO warm and you are seeing the beauty of a metal shell (when attached to a wall it gets called a radiator).

I have absolutely no fears whatsoever about leaving it running. I think I have heard the fan running (just) but it's not an issue.

I found that when I switched, I was trying to FIND things to worry about (to get me to the same level of paranoia that I had with my PC). Not saying you are, but these things just seem to get on with it.

Relax and enjoy it. The only reason I cycle the power if I don't have to, is some sense of wanting the machine to set itself 'back to square one' as it were and not because the machine is showing any signs of distress.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
I am afraid I may burn my house down

Fear not! We have macs at work (both desktops and notebooks) and apart from restarting after software updates etc, they are more or less on 24/7, 365! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Question: do people seriously don't talk about downloading torrents?

I'm not even sure what that meant...

I'm going to say 'yes, I'm sure people do download torrents/talk about downloading torrents' and hope that covers all bases.

Reaction score
I mean, I was reading the answers and I saw a post saying "edit: eagle at nine, eagle at nine" and then someone made a joke about talking about transmissions instead of torrents.

Is there a forum rule or something which prohibits people to talk about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
I bought my MBP just over a month ago as my first Apple (best decision of my life). As I travel between school and home most days, my laptop goes to sleep for about an hour each day while I'm on the bus. It is never turned off, ever, and I only restart when something weird is happening (an old habit from the Windows world; when something goes wrong, restart!).

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.