The one thing I cant get used to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook; 80gig HDD; 1gb Ram; iLife '08; Mac:Office; Firefox!
I would have to say I actually love my macbook but the one thing I cant used to coming from all version of windows is the browser speed.

No matter which browser I use currently (safari or firefox) It drags compared ie on windows....what gives?

Is there something I should be checking for? The other computers in my house (2 self built pcs and 2 laptos hp & sony) browse just fine on my wired router and wireless acces point compared to my macbook :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
do you run on Wi-Fi or direct modem connection? (i know you explained what you have but what do you primarily use?)

OP
gigabella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my macbook runs off of wi-fi ........ I also specifically bought a 5.8ghz phone so it wouldnt interfere with my 2.4ghz router....also checked out the neighbors and changed channels but no dice....I recently added some DNS address into my macbook but it only helped a tiny bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
is your wireless router G, G/MIMO, or N?

OP
gigabella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm good question...Im not sure its any of the above LOL... it just says its a D-Link DWL-700AP that works wirelessly to 802.11b networks. Let me see if I can find out more info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay. because my router is G/MIMO, and my older one was a G, and my Windows computer could be set up upstairs and receive the wireless feed 2 floors below me with an "Excellent" connection. When I set up the new G/MIMO, my Macbook could barely get 2 bars of strength at the same spot of my Windows laptop. and wireless G/MIMO is supposed to be stronger than G.

I think if I got the AirPort Extreme (which is wireless N 802.11n) i would have been better off.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

OP
gigabella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So im guessing I could possibly need a new router....hmmm that would stink though cause I've never really had an issues with it over the past few years other than needing to be reset every now and then do do dropped wireless signal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
isn't that wireless G?

(oops, sorry for double posting!)

Product Description
The D-LinkAir DWL-700AP Access Point is capable of transfer rates of up to 11Mbps.

It's an Access Point and it's Wireless B according to that description.

Plus the fact it only has WEP Encryption. WEP is so easily hacked these days. A Newer G or N router that does WPA or WPA2 would be a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So im guessing I could possibly need a new router....hmmm that would stink though cause I've never really had an issues with it over the past few years other than needing to be reset every now and then do do dropped wireless signal.

Okay, well yeah you do now. 11MBPS?? wow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I'm guessing if you got an Airport Express you would have no problems. Sounds like the Macbooks N card doesn't want to work well with the A/B/G router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.