Failed update crashed Mac. What can I do?

Reaction score
Note - The iBook is 10.2. I believe the desktop is a newer version, which is the reasonign behind this thread, however I am not positive. These are work computers, not my own personal ones, so I apologize for not having exact documentation on hand.

So, I have two Mac's here. An iBook and a desktop. The desktop was updating last night and it decided that it was going to make my life a little more difficult and the update failed. Now when the desktop boots, it just hangs at the white screen with the circular cursor moving.

I tried to boot the desktop in target mode to the laptop to at least recover data on it, however the laptop said something about the volume being corrupt.

I have since gone home and left my firewire cable at work, along with the computers, but I was curious to something. With the iBook, if I go into disk utility WHILE the desktop is plugged into the iBook via firewire, even though the iBook said it had messed up volumes (aka unreadable), would I be able to run first aid or any type of rebuilding utilities on the desktop drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.