• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

First African-American nominee of a major party...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, it's not corporations in his pocket ... it's radical left wing special interest groups that occupy the space in Obama's pockets! :Shouting:

Just out of legitimate curiosity:

Who would you consider to be a left wing special interest group?

Reaction score
I want to share this poll video that I saw in pollcalsh, that they compare the two video’s that is related to each other...One I saw there is a video between Hillary and Richard Nixon, talking about a war in Iraq, and I saw the comments there that who is more credible between the two then. Try to check out and see for your self…
http://pollclash.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As much as I hate to admit it, I can't really disagree with you. however, I will not vote for Obama unless he legitimately moves more toward the center.

I just received the following from the DNC. I found it somewhat interesting and, dare I say, a smart move!

Keep in mind that while that does apply to the presidential candidate, it does NOT apply to congressional candidates running for office or re-election. If they wanted to make a bold move, they would have stopped it across the board. BTW, those Congressional campaigns can legally pass money to the presidential campaign, so there is a loophole that effectively nullifies this statement, in other words it is pure political posturing. Dean and Obama are simply being disingenuous.

This is also the same party that is having trouble figuring out how to pay for it's own convention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Keep in mind that while that does apply to the presidential candidate, it does NOT apply to congressional candidates running for office or re-election. If they wanted to make a bold move, they would have stopped it across the board. BTW, those Congressional campaigns can legally pass money to the presidential campaign, so there is a loophole that effectively nullifies this statement, in other words it is pure political posturing. Dean and Obama are simply being disingenuous.

This is also the same party that is having trouble figuring out how to pay for it's own convention.
Well Obama doesn't seem to be doing so badly so far - and that's before he could take advantage of any "loopholes"...

Whatever the case I think it sends the right signal and might even prompt some other politicians to follow suit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Obama was doing ok before he was the presumptive nominee, the DNC was not. If anyone is going to benefit it is going to be the DNC, not Obama. While he was running he could take money from special interest groups and I have seen nothing to show that he did not take money from them.

Sort of like McCain claiming he's a "maverick"? ;)

Perhaps. Show me another senator that has bucked his own party as much as McCain has though. His record show a long independent streak that has irked the Republican party, and the President, for some time. I've always been one of those "Actions speak louder than words" types and while McCain may not be as Maverick that he has been in the past, at least he has a record of having done something other than giving nice speeches.

Reaction score
Or it means that people support him because hes a minority, and the not the best candidate. Is that a step forward? Well in a way, I guess, but I see alot of people who support him, despite knowing very little about his policies.

And that is the crying shame of it for there is no reason at all not to know what he really stands for. He has a record in the senate that is easily seen and he has written 3 or 4 books where he plainly tells what he believes in. He hasn't made it a big secret other than the mainstream press tends to completely ignore it in their rush to get him elected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps. Show me another senator that has bucked his own party as much as McCain has though. His record show a long independent streak that has irked the Republican party, and the President, for some time. I've always been one of those "Actions speak louder than words" types and while McCain may not be as Maverick that he has been in the past, at least he has a record of having done something other than giving nice speeches.

There are far more maverick Republican senators than John McCain. Any of the R's from the northeast for example.

I'm not arguing Obama has any substance beyond nice speeches, but neither did Dubya and somehow we got re-elected twice. So its a bit disingenuous for Republicans to attack Obama on the "experience" factor when we've had Bush for 8 years.

I don't necessarily think Obama has much substance, are at least not much he's bothered to share yet if it's there. I supported Hillary.

I have not yet made up my mind for the fall, but I do find it hilarious the hypocrisy both sides play to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
something i have said since hilary was in the running was that i was for hilary. not because of her politics but i wanted to see what bill could do in the white house if he had more free time. it would have at least been entertaining

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are far more maverick Republican senators than John McCain. Any of the R's from the northeast for example.

I'm not arguing Obama has any substance beyond nice speeches, but neither did Dubya and somehow we got re-elected twice. So its a bit disingenuous for Republicans to attack Obama on the "experience" factor when we've had Bush for 8 years.

I don't necessarily think Obama has much substance, are at least not much he's bothered to share yet if it's there. I supported Hillary.

I have not yet made up my mind for the fall, but I do find it hilarious the hypocrisy both sides play to.

Keep in mind that Bush was at least a 2 term state governor (Texas) before being elected, as were Clinton and Reagan. That experience alone far outweighs whatever Senatorial experience Mr Obama might have. I think Bush Senior had far less executive experience that W did at the time of his election (he was not even a Senator before becoming Reagan's VP).

something i have said since hilary was in the running was that i was for hilary. not because of her politics but i wanted to see what bill could do in the white house if he had more free time. it would have at least been entertaining

That WOULD have been interesting.....

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Keep in mind that Bush was at least a 2 term state governor (Texas) before being elected, as were Clinton and Reagan. That experience alone far outweighs whatever Senatorial experience Mr Obama might have. I think Bush Senior had far less executive experience that W did at the time of his election (he was not even a Senator before becoming Reagan's VP).

So, Bush had a good amount of executive experience, and...

I am just not convinced that experience is the end all be all of a presidential candidate. And I believe that what Obama has to offer far outweighs this flaw...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Obama would be the most politically inexperienced president since Eisenhower, no offense to Eisenhower fans for the comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I am just not convinced that experience is the end all be all of a presidential candidate. And I believe that what Obama has to offer far outweighs this flaw...

With the most powerful job in the world, I don't necessarily buy the "experience doesn't matter" mantra. We're not talking about city council, local planning commission, or little league baseball coach. We're talking President of the United States.

For Obama to lock up my vote, I need more from him. I need more specifics. I need to see his team. I need to see who he chooses for VP.

Those choices will say alot about what kind of President he'll be.

Reaction score

Exactly what does he have to offer?

What does Barack, specifically, propose to change in this country and how is he going to change it?

What will be the results of the changes he enacts?

How does his message give you hope?

In the simplest sense, Barack’s plans are simply tax and spend, with heavier regulations on virtually every industry. The countless pictures of Barack supporters with moon-eyed adoration are indicative of people mindlessly enthralled with a personality.

And that is the crying shame of it for there is no reason at all not to know what he really stands for. He has a record in the senate that is easily seen and he has written 3 or 4 books where he plainly tells what he believes in. He hasn't made it a big secret other than the mainstream press tends to completely ignore it in their rush to get him elected.

I am pretty sure you missed my point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the simplest sense, Barack’s plans are simply tax and spend, with heavier regulations on virtually every industry. The countless pictures of Barack supporters with moon-eyed adoration are indicative of people mindlessly enthralled with a personality.

Where has 8 years of deregulation and tax cuts gotten us?

Reaction score
Where has 8 years of deregulation and tax cuts gotten us?

I understand that, we SHOULD NOT have low taxes during a time of war. I mean, no argument there, who exactly is paying for it anyway? Nobody so far

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
With the most powerful job in the world, I don't necessarily buy the "experience doesn't matter" mantra. We're not talking about city council, local planning commission, or little league baseball coach. We're talking President of the United States.

I never said experience was moot, I am just saying that he has a lot of qualities that can make up for this.

What does he have? He has leadership (probably the most important quality of the president). He has the ability to respond to pressure in a positive and collected way. He has the ability to inspire an entire generation of people.

We all know change hardly ever comes with politics. And I really do not believe that he will 'change' our political machinery. He CAN, however, lead people to make changes themselves though leadership and, yes, oration.

I agree with most of his policy, but even that is fairly irrelevant. His policies will most likely be compromised out of existence anyway. Same with any president.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How does his message give you hope?.

Pretty words sound nice....nice sounds make you feel good....feeling good gives you hope...

What does he have? He has leadership (probably the most important quality of the president). He has the ability to respond to pressure in a positive and collected way. He has the ability to inspire an entire generation of people

I would dispute those points. Nothing I have seen from him gives me the impression that he has those skilled in any practical or realistic sense. He has inspired some people, but his audience is now significantly wider and includes massive numbers of members of his own party who were not swayed by his pretty speeches during the primary season, significantly more than actually backed him. He is unlikely to sway the bulk of them for any other reason than he is the Democratic candidate and he may in fact lose many of them because of the divide in the party.

He's an eloquent speaker and compared to "W" anyone is. Aside from that I have seen nothing of substance from him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty words sound nice....nice sounds make you feel good....feeling good gives you hope...

And sometimes hope and inspiration make big things happen.

You can have all the experience in the world and all the best ideas and still fail because you can't inspire people.

You can also be inspiring without any real plans and the people will do great things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.