how do i open .xls files

Reaction score
what do i need to open .xls files? every time i have an email with a .xls file attach i would have to get back on other computer to view the file since i can't on my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz MacBook. OS X 10.5.3
.xls files are Microsoft Excel files. You will either need to buy Microsoft Office for Mac, or download the free NeoOffice, which is a Mac version of the open source Open Office.

Reaction score
LobsterMan is right, you can also use QuickLook to at least see what is inside a Excel file.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This thread is three years old. Things change.

Lez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.8GHz Intel Core Duo
LobsterMan is right, you can also use QuickLook to at least see what is inside a Excel file.

I have quicklook turned off, yes disabled, when I have it on my macbook goes crazy cpu 100% so I disabled it. How do I view .xls files? I have open office but it is too slow, I only need to view the files, does anybody have any ideas please.

Lez

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
QuickLook. ;)

QL shouldn't be using that much CPU to view files so it might be worth addressing that problem since (a) it's evidently broken and (b) it's the perfect tool for the job here.

Lez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.8GHz Intel Core Duo
QuickLook. ;)

QL shouldn't be using that much CPU to view files so it might be worth addressing that problem since (a) it's evidently broken and (b) it's the perfect tool for the job here.

Wow quick reply.
You are perfectly correct I should address the problem, I spend ages finding out what the problem was & even more time trying to sort it out. The bottom line is "it shouldn't happen, but it does". so in total frustration I disabled quicklook months ago & have had a happy Macbook, apart from not being able to view .xls files. According to the internet (Apple) it is a known problem with no solution, a minor glitch compared to Windows ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.