Unable to get mysql working with Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz MacBook. OS X 10.5.3
Hi,
I'm a web developer, and I recently upgraded to leopeard form tiger. Installing PHP was simple, but I can't get mysql to work. I followed the instructions to properly configure PHP, downloaded the proper install package, and installed the prefpane control. I cannot get it to turn on. I uninstalled the prefpane and tried again, an reinstalled the mysql package several times with no success. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
I had the same issue when I first upgraded. Issues that seemed almost like the MySql binary was not compatible with 10.5.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html#macosx-dmg

Make sure you are using the correct version (I know, I know) for your platform (Mac OS X 10.5 (x86)). I found that the package and not the .tar version works well (okay, I used the package and never did try out the .tar version).

Cheers

OP
LobsterMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess what? It's working now. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Cool...what did you do to get it running??

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read that the preference pane for leopard doesn't work and you'd have to manually start mysql in terminal. The preference pane will tell you if it's running or not though. Some code must have changed in Leopard that made it not work. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet.

I did run across this page that tells you how to fix the preference pane. I haven't tried it myself yet. There's some mixed results in the comments.

http://www.angry-fly.com/index.cfm/2008/1/30/Getting-MySQL-Preference-Pane-To-Work-In-Leopard

OP
LobsterMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I uninstalled anything and everything mysql and re installed everything. This was the 3rd time i did that, but it worked. Everything is working perfectly including the prefpane. What's funny is that I had a feeling that it was the prefpane, but I couldn't fine anywhere online what command i need to run to start mysql manually. Today when i downloaded it i noticed the instructions in the readme file.

Reaction score
Newbie with Leopard and MySQL

Hi,

I have done some basic with MySQL in Windows environment, but completely new with the MacOS Leopard.

I have downloaded and install MySQL, everything went well during installation.
I have Preference Pane that says MySQL is running.

Questions:
1) During installation of MySQL, I was not asked to input a "password"; it did in the Windows installation.

2) How do I actually get MySQL to run in the "Terminal"?
If someone could just get me started here, I really appreciate it.
I have typed: sudo /usr/local/mysql
Then it asked for "Password:" which I do not have.

Please help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.