G3 Lombard start up problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Hi, I have a 333mhz Lombard Powerbook, That i have just upgraded to Panther (upped the ram to 192mb) and all was fine now it won't start up!, I get the 'Dong' when i hit the power button and a little noise from the hard disc (used to get quite a bit while it was starting) then nothing?, I managed to start it up from the CD and it was ok then it froze and now it wont start up again!, Will a new hard drive fix it? was gonna put a 80GB in, Could this be terminal! and shall i save my money and stick it on ebay as parts?. Any help would be great.

cheers:)

Geoff

Reaction score
If that is the original hard drive, then I would get ready to replace it! When you started from the install disk, did you run Disk Utility?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Hi, I ran disc utility and repaired permissions, Not too sure what that is! but it took a while and everything was repaired, Then did a restart and thought i'd cracked it! till it froze while i was using Safari then back to square one, Could it be something as simple as a dodgy hard disk?, Would the hard disk from my G3 tower fit just to try and start it up?.

Cheers

Geoff

Reaction score
Disk Utility has a couple of other processes, the one you should run is Repair Disk. That runs a test on the directory structure of your drive. If it finds problems but fixes them, then you might be in luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Time for a MacBook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.