splintered plastic

Reaction score
hey,

I bought a macbook back in november (8 months) and last wee a bit of the plastic at the front of it just splintered off where the ridge goes when you close it.

It does not affect the way it runs or anything but its just annoying that it seems to be falling apart a bit. it also looks and feels like the splinter could get bigger. i dont mistreat it, if anything the opposite. i have never slammed it shut or anything.

I am just wondering if I should email apple about it or not? dont suppose i could get it replaced or anything could I?

Image006-1.jpg

Lloyd rangeboy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
It's quite a common problem. If you get in touch with Apple they will replace the top casing for you. I've cracked two.

Here's another thread about it

Reaction score
While I'm glad that it hasn't just happened to me, I'm sad becaue it happened after my warranty expired! So for us folks with an expired warranty and no applecare is spare parts our only savior? I might go ghetto and put a bit tape on it for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
if you want to spend some money, here is a site with replacement parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Apple fixed mine on my MacBook too. They replace the whole top keyboard and everything if its under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB 2GHz 2GB RAM, iPod G1 10 GB and Classic 160GB
might be an idea to sand it down, if it won't penetrate the inner workings you could put some epoxy on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.