.pdf Issue - Text is Garbled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 1GB RAM 2.4 Ghz Intel iMac
Hello-

I'm taking courses online and I recently purchased an iMac. I downloaded Adobe and I'm able to open most .pdf's without a problem however some of the eBooks I have to download are all sorts messed up! The text on the first few pages is just gibberish (see attached screen shot) and the rest of the pages are generally black.

I've searched around and haven't been able to find any info other than perhaps I have some type of font issue. I was hoping someone here might have some input.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Losh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
It's probably corrupted fonts, as you mentioned.
Some things to try.
  1. Validate your fonts. Load Font Book (Applications > Font Book) and select all your fonts (Command-A), and then choose File > Validate Fonts. Remove any fonts that are tagged with errors or warnings.
  2. Clear your font cache. Download and install FontNuke and follow the instructions.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... I followed the "Validate Fonts" instructions and came up with about 27 fonts that had warnings but nothing with any errors. I was going to proceed to remove the 27 items however some the fonts that are tagged with warnings are fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman. Those are frequently used fonts so will I lose them altogether?

Thank you for your help!!

Losh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Download and install FontNuke. It will clear the font cache, which will be rebuilt, after restarting your Mac.
See if your still having problems afterwards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download and install FontNuke. It will clear the font cache, which will be rebuilt, after restarting your Mac.
See if your still having problems afterwards.

Ran FontNuke and it's still giving me trouble... only seems to be with .pdfs from this one source. I appreciate the suggestion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you tried opening with Preview as the default?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.