.doc files won't open with a double click

Reaction score
I have Mac Windows, whatever the newest version is, and on both my new mac pro, and my fathers new macbook pro, when you click on a .doc file, it will not open in Mac Windows. It comes up as a blank page. If you go into the program, it will open if you go from file>open and select the file. But obviously this is more work than necessary, especially for my father who is crippled and has bad hand/arm problems. He's got tons of files to go through, so converting them all to .docx isn't a solution at this point (.docx will open if you double click on it).

Anyone have any answers as to how to correct this?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have Mac Windows, whatever the newest version is, and on both my new mac pro, and my fathers new macbook pro, when you click on a .doc file, it will not open in Mac Windows. It comes up as a blank page. If you go into the program, it will open if you go from file>open and select the file. But obviously this is more work than necessary, especially for my father who is crippled and has bad hand/arm problems. He's got tons of files to go through, so converting them all to .docx isn't a solution at this point (.docx will open if you double click on it).

Anyone have any answers as to how to correct this?

Thanks!

I'm assuming here you're referring to MS Office 2008 for the Mac - installed on your MBP and the one owned by your father?

If the *.doc file opens from within Office, it should automatically open when you double click it from the documents folder or from anywhere else. File associations for *.doc and other MS Office document extensions are installed by default when MS Office is installed. No need to convert to *.docx.

If it's not working correctly, I suggest you use your MS Office install CD to do a repair of MS Office. That should re-set all file associations correctly. Also be sure to download and install MS Office 2008 SP 1. Do that prior to the repair.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.