Book recommendations to learn Leopard & Terminal?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but whenever I learn a new OS I like to have a book on the subject to help myself learn.

I'm going to be a college freshman in the fall, and I'm purchasing an MBP on June 14 (yep, hoping for that update). This will be my first mac, so I have no experience with the OS.

I'm pretty much a pro when it comes to XP, and I think that is partly because I used some books to learn to use it effectively when I was starting out.

I'd like to learn how to use Mac OS, as well as learn the deeper intricacies of os x leopard.

I'm also eager to learn to use the terminal in leopard. Some of my friends run linux, so I have second-hand knowledge of how powerful a terminal can be, and I'd like to have that experience with my mbp.

So, can anyone recommend any books on using a mac as well as any books on learning to use the terminal?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
For Leopard, I'd recommend "The Missing Manual" by David Pogue. Very well written and informative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
As Soulwar stated... "The Missing Manual" is probably the best and most informative book to get.

As far as learning Terminal commands.. THIS may be helpful to you. It's a sort of beginners guide to UNIX... it teaches ina pretty plain and simple manner by teaching commands as spells, and the entire file system as a castle (I think). :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
For Leopard, I'd recommend "The Missing Manual" by David Pogue. Very well written and informative.
I have this book and it is EXCELLENT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
I also have a good book for learning, called "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard," Visual Quickstart Guide, bought it at an Apple Store on a rep's recommendation. Heavy reading :) But comprehensive.

I also have "Switching to the Mac, The Missing Manual" by David Pogue and in my opinion it's great for switchers...

Enjoy your Mac when you get it, and enjoy college (wish I were back there)...

Noel

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for all the recommendations guys. I'll be sure to pick up Pogue's Missing Manual at the very least.

Maybe I'll pick it up tonight!

@RiDE, thanks for that link. looks pretty informative

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
remember, there is a pretty decent explanation of terminal commands available at the terminal..

man <command>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.4GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 150 GB
Hi... Sorry to hijack the thread... Are there any decent guides out there for iWorks 08?

Also, as a switcher, will I be overwhelmed by the one that's on Mac OS X Leopard? Or should I just get the switcher's manual?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There's a lengthy iWork manual (program by program, ie a Pages manual, Keynote manual, and Numbers manual) available on apple's support website. I haven't seen anything 3rd party yet.

Reaction score
Just bought a mac myself and was just about to do a search for which book would be best. Glad I did a search.

Would "Mac OS X leopard Bible" be a good book as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.