why is my laptop so hot? it burns !!

Reaction score
:Not-Amused: When I put my "macbook pro 15'inch" on my lap, it burns my lap so much that after 5 minutes my lap is completely red and so hot. I bought this thing to make it cooler but before i sleep i feel that my bed is kind of warm. Really weird.. does you're macbook pro be this hot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I wouldn't recommend putting it on your lap as it may block the cooling fans. Try it on a desk or table and see if it still acting this way. If it is then send it into Apple. Is it really getting a glowing red? I didnt even think that was possible.

OP
Apple-Juice101
Reaction score
the only problem is that I live in Bahrain (middle east) we dont have original Apple Store, but I will try checking the Mac stores there. Thanks for the information

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
:Not-Amused: When I put my "macbook pro 15'inch" on my lap, it burns my lap so much that after 5 minutes my lap is completely red and so hot. I bought this thing to make it cooler but before i sleep i feel that my bed is kind of warm. Really weird.. does you're macbook pro be this hot?
Apple said:
When you’re using your MacBook Pro or charging the battery, it's normal for the bottom of the case to get warm. For prolonged use, place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface.
Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time.
Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the MacBook Pro case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I recommend possible buying a techshell case....it snaps on to the outside of the laptop and although the bottom still gets warm it doesn't burn me at all. I use it on my lap all the time.

Reaction score
Burning your loins

I use something that I bought at a non-Apple store. The MBP sits on it and is on an angle and the bottom plastic part sits on your lap.

Do a search for "apple laptop desk". It keeps it elevated and also lets the air flow under it freely.

Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Install SMCfancontrol. Also, get a lap desk from iRain I believe is the company. I use a little cheapo Targus cooler that is able to angle to different degrees while in your lap.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Iv got a MBP too... originally it was quite cool running but over time iv also noticed its tendancy to get a little warmer... some things iv noticed;

1. Mine kinda started getting wamer on the bottom when i installed a second stick of memory into the RAM slot closest to the outter chassis (if you open it up you'll see their kinda layered, one on top of the other... the default Apple installation is to put one stick into the deepest slot, aka furthest away from your legs lol)... if your MBP has 2 sticks in it, the outter most one will obviously get warm (especially since its prob getting heated by the other one too)...

2. Always a good idea to check Activity Monitor when you think the machine is running a little too hot, or the fans are going nuts, quite a few times iv found some application is pelting the CPU with 100% activity or something (more than often it would be Firefox...) killing these excessive app's often helps cool the machine...

3. SMC fan controller has never really proven too useful for me, all it really lets u do is manually set the fan speeds (overriding the automatic sensor within the Machine)... never seen the point really, the sensor will control the speed on its own based on the heat of the CPU... but one thing to remember is that the fans have no effect on the temp of the RAM compartment, so ramping these upto full speed all the time wont help with that temperature !

Try checking which part of the underside is hottest... if its near the back (where the screen connects) this is probably the CPU getting warm, if its the middle of the machine, under the slightly different colored metal flap then its the RAM which is heating your legs !

Hope this helped a little, as said these are personal observations iv had about my own MBP, dunno if anyone else would agree !

Reaction score
Install SMCfancontrol. Also, get a lap desk from iRain I believe is the company. I use a little cheapo Targus cooler that is able to angle to different degrees while in your lap.

Good Luck!

Just a quick ammendment, iv always had good experiences with these laptop coolers... but this was always with windows laptops which had open fan inlets on the bottom of the machine (so the laptop cooler was feeding them more derectly cooled air)... the MBP's have no such inlets on the bottom, so although i immagine this may help a little be careful not to spend too much on these (especially if your a fan of how quiet your MBP is, these coolers often generate noise of their own)

Reaction score
Just a quick ammendment, iv always had good experiences with these laptop coolers... but this was always with windows laptops which had open fan inlets on the bottom of the machine (so the laptop cooler was feeding them more derectly cooled air)... the MBP's have no such inlets on the bottom, so although i immagine this may help a little be careful not to spend too much on these (especially if your a fan of how quiet your MBP is, these coolers often generate noise of their own)

I'm not talking about the units that come with fans. The Targus setup that I use is just plastic with little feet in between the two to create a v and give you a place to rest your laptop on your lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I still think that it would make a noticeable difference....I have a widget that measures temps and my MacBook Pro runs cooler with the cooling pad running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I wouldn't manually adjust your fans...will wear them down pretty quick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.