Hopeless newbie

C

cerberos

Hello, Folks!

I've been debating between a pBook and iBook for well over a month now :) I'm in no hurry as I already have a peecee that is suiting my needs fine for the time being. As of now, I'm leaning toward the Powerbook with the beefier video card and slight speed advantage being the deal makers.

My only concern is reports on Powerbook case durability. If I understand correctly, the aluminum is more resistant to scratches than the iBook, but is more prone to dents and dings. Tell me it aint so? How durable are they?

My current computer is a IBM Thinkpad X24, and it is durable as heck - I would hate to give it up for something that I would live in fear of damaging.

ALSO :) Does OS X have "themes" like Windows XP? For instance, can you switch from the colored "aqua" look to the "graphite" look, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I check the iBooks and Powerbooks everytime I go in the Apple store. They get a lot of use and all are none the worse for wear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
i've seen an powerbook on demo that apparently was resting on an inverted screw on the table. and there was this scratch that went from the side to the center of the poor thing.. as to your "scratch issue" - unless you actually scratch it with a hard / sharp object - i think the pbook wouldn't be that easily scratched.. although i'm sure it'll leave a small markign as if you ran a grinder on the surface - cuz the finished surface was well "scratched"

OP
C

cerberos

As far as OS X, can you change from aqua to graphite? Or was graphite used in a previous version, and the current release is aqua?

Dumb question, I know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
cerberos said:

As far as OS X, can you change from aqua to graphite? Or was graphite used in a previous version, and the current release is aqua?

Dumb question, I know :)

Yes it can. You can also download shapeshifter wich allows you to switch between many different themes. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
well...I'm not so sure if you mean an entire theme or just the buttons..When you say Graphite, it reminds me of a setting in System Prefs... Check out the attached images...(Pay attention to the buttons in the upper left...Is that what you meant?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.