• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express 4 - Tutorial?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Canon HF10 camera as well as Final Cut Express 4.0. I've been reading through the user manual, however feel like I need some hands on tutorials. Short of taking a class - are there any books or DVD's out there that anyone can recommend to help me learn the basics? In 8 months I'm going to be a father and want to create some home movies that go beyond a dad narrating. I've played around with iMovie and that is fine, but I want to do a bit more than that, hence acquiring Final Cut Express.

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Some of the tutorials at the LAFCPUG site could be handy. I have Proapptips in my bookmarks. FCPtips looks interesting. Creative Cow FCP tutorials.

Note that most tutorials are likely for Final Cut Pro. This should be fine for most things.

Check Amazon for some book reviews. Search the iTunes store for pod casts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008- Mac Pro 2.8ghz-8 Core, 10Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800GT Card, 2x 500Gig HD, 2x Dell 2408 Screens
FCE 4 Tutorials

I know you you feel. I felt the same way. I just switched to a Mac and I bought a Cannon HG10 camera which uses AVCHD format. There are hundreds of video, step-by-step tutorials on YouTube. Goto YouTube and do a search on Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro they are basically the same program. Pro has more filters and effects. Thats the only difference. Also try this site http://www.finalcutstudioschool.com/FinalCutStudioSchool/Welcome.html.
The guy that has this sitye has tons of tutorials. His username is Emeek77 so try that in YouTube.
Also if you want to get some more help you can go to http://vimeo.com/finalcutpro.

Trust me. i was PC based and did editing in Sony Vegas Pro. I switched to a Mac in April and my after about 2 weeks of viewing tutorials on YouTube for FCE and the information I gave you I'm putting out some nice work. Watch...how you will you improve.

Tommy
http://www.vimeo.com/TNP this is my channel on Vimeo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
emeek77 on Youtube has some fantastic tutorials on Final Cut. I think he may have some for Express, but the ones I've seen were on Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 'Penryn' - 2,5 Ghz - 2 Go RAM - 250 Go HD - 8600M GT 512Mo
Hey everyone!

Just swinging by to see if anyone has other good links, cuz teaching yourself on FCE4 is kind of complicated. None of the links I found were complete enough, and there is still a lot I dont really get...

Thanks in advance ;)

Reaction score
Fce

There is a book out called Final Cut Express 4 by Diana Weynand. It is an apple certified level 1 book. It comes with a dvd that you install that has a lot of audio and video clips. The book takes you through lessons and you use the content in the dvd to learn to edit etc.

Each substantive lesson takes anywhere from 45 min to 1 hour.

It is a great place to start, but just get out there and take lots of video and play with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 'Penryn' - 2,5 Ghz - 2 Go RAM - 250 Go HD - 8600M GT 512Mo
Thanks for the info, but I'm looking for FREE tutorials ;)
I've already invested quite a lot lately, and I'm kinda running out of money right now!

Reaction score
Training book for FC Express 4

I bought a book called 'Final Cut Express 4 - Movie Making for Everyone'
which is published by Peachpit Press and is available through Amazon price £28.99 (cover price).
It is supplied with a DvD rom with lessons and sample files on it.
It cover everything from basics to more advanced stuff.
It's Apple certified and is well worth a look.

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.