ibook strange noises

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for some help. Over the last few months my ibook has run slower and slower and slower....I usually just let it sleep when not in use, but occasionally, I would reboot the thing and it would run decent. Now, that is no longer working. Not only that, but it has begun to make some very strange sounds. It sounds as though there was a "ping-pong" ball being dropped (internally, if that makes sense) every second or so. It is consistent and lasts for only a few seconds. But then it goes into a whirring sound and then finally a rhythmic screech sound will come from the speakers. It does this all for a few seconds (and I can't do anything while this is happening) and then just kind of quits and I can go on. What is happening? Once in a great while it goes into this same funk and I finally need to shut it down. When I reboot, it comes up with a blinking smily face and question mark. The next time I rebooted, it worked as normal.

I'm not very computer literate but is there some process I can go through to seek a diagnosis? Is it about to die? I am going to back up all my files asap, but I can't see this as a good thing.

I had this happen a year or so ago as well when I was still under Apple care and the guy had me hold a bunch of buttons at once when I powered up, but I can't remember which ones.

I run OSX 10.4.11 if that is helpful in any way. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I would guess the HDD is failing. I had a similar sound from an old iMac, which ended up being the HDD.
Check the SMART status with Disk Utility. (applications/utilities)

You can also try the Apple Hardware test.

If you need the test...
Apple Hardware Test Images

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
The screech from the speakers is the odd thing out there. Might have something (metal) floating around the inside of the case shorting on different things as it travels around. Sounds odd, but I've rehabed more ibooks by "removal of foreign object" than I care to count.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.