How come a burned data DVD-R doesnt show up!!!?

A

agentphish

So i burned this DVD-R as a data backup in toast 6.5 its got about 3.5 gigs of documents and graphic design stuff on it. On my PB15 running 10.3.6 is where i did this at. Now when i put the disc back into the PB it never shows up on the desktop or in the finder window so it doesnt seem to want to let me access this disc... this is very... very bad... Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I would always start with repair permissions
followed by trashing the finder preferences.

Do other dvd's show up?
If not…In Finder preferences/General "Show these items on the Desktop"…
do you have a check mark on "CD's DVD's and iPods"?

Are you able to see the dvd in disk utility?

OP
A

agentphish

by the way it will read in my PC DVD-R drive just fine and i can access the files off the disc via my PC, but still why wont it show in the mac?

OP
A

agentphish

the appropriate things are checked in finder preferences. Other DVD's and DVD-Rs show up. How often do these things need a permissions repair.... Thats always the frist thing people tell me to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
agentphish said:
…How often do these things need a permissions repair....

Too often. I've not seen a good answer to "what changes them". I do know that anytime you install software you should repair permissions. I've had the permissions get altered from reasons unknown to me. So, I just repair weekly before I backup my system.

Did you try deleting finder preferences:

(1) Open a Finder window and navigate to Home > Library > Preferences folder.
(2) Trash the file com.apple.finder.plist
(3) If you are using Panther, also trash the file com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
(4) Then either:
log out and in again, or
relaunch the Finder by choosing Force Quit from the Apple menu and selecting Finder, and clicking on the Force Quit button.
(5) Empty the Trash.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have had that happen a couple of times. I just recycled the power on everything (computer and the DVD drive), and all was okay. I am using Toast 6.0.7, which I beleive is the latest version. Also I was using DVD-RW and DVD+RW when I experienced the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.