I need a better keyboard for Mac Pro! Any Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,2GHz, 18GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT
I have the basic thin Apple keyboard with wire. (I didn´t want to change batteries with the wireless keyboard all the time and I hate wireless stuff anyways).
Now I pretty much have started to hate this piece of crap keyboard. The feel of it is very "fragile" and it makes all kinds of weird things all the time, when I´m editing music. Usually it makes "double hits" or "a key is left pushed in, although it´s not".
I can´t understand why Apple´s hardware is very good and robust, BUT not the keyboards and mouses. I had to throw the Mighty Mouse in the garbage, ´cause it was just a terrible mouse. I bought Logitech G5 and Steermouse driver. Lot of money wasted, but I´m much happier now.

So is there any great alternative keyboards for Macs out there? I haven´t found anything good. Found the Logitech´s S530 keyboard and mouse combo in the local store, but it´s wireless and I don´t want that mouse with it + the keyboard didn´t look and feel very good either, so that´s out of the question.

I´m running out of options here, is there anything compatible with Mac. It´s a shame, that Logitech doesn´t have anything else for Mac, or do they? For PCs there is so many great options, it´s amazing, but not for Macs! :Angry-Tongue:
Is there anything else out there? I´m getting really desperate. Hope you guys can help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Most keyboards should be mac compatible, shouldn't they? - you just have a windows key instead of a command key. You could always draw a little apple on it to make you feel more at home...

I was under the impression you could use almost any normal (ie, not with fancy bits and extra keys and drivers), USB keyboard with your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
which wired keyboard? the aluminum one thats an inch thick? or the previous generation thick one?

I personally love the aluminum keyboard, everything is so clean and evenly distributed.

Check out some stuff from Logitech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Right, did a little test, am currently using a roll-up travel keyboard, have also used a normal desktop style one. All is good though I haven't quite set it up right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
here are some options

all three specifically list that they support mac os. most other keyboards should work too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I have the s530 at work, and love it. The mouse came with it but I don't use it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,2GHz, 18GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT
which wired keyboard? the aluminum one thats an inch thick? or the previous generation thick one?

The new thin aluminum.

Hmm, still not much "official" choises for Mac. Gotta check that Logitech Wave keyboard out, but the corded version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I too hated the Mighty Mouse and when I got my first Mac two and bit years ago, I ditched the Mighty Mouse pretty quickly. I got the Logitech S530 and have been using it ever since. I like it so well that when I got this new Mac Pro I went out and got another S530.

You only have to replace the batteries every 6 mos or so. They last a long time. The keyboard is just great, right from the start. Initially, you may find the mouse a bit stiff - takes more pressure to click the keys than many mice. However, it loosens up over time. There is a marked difference between my older S530 mouse and my newer one.

Clearly, I would recommend the Logitech S530. You might wish to reconsider it.

That having been said, I have become quite taken with the new aluminum keyboard, so much so that I have set the S530 keyboard aside now and am exclusively using the aluminum one. Now I use it and the S530 mouse and am quite happy with the result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I guess some people have problems with their hardware. I've used the thin aluminum keyboard, and I liked it. I'm using a Mighty Mouse right now, and i have had no problems with it. I really like the 360˚ trackball. I absolutely hated dragging scrollbars left and right. And it makes use in GarageBand a lot quicker for me.

Actually, I might be considering getting the Logitech S530. It looks pretty nice. Does it still have the "accidental cap-lock" feature on it? I know my MB keyboard, you can't just tap the caps lock button, and that's extremely useful for me.

Reaction score
Keyboard question

Hey there, I have a suggestion for you. Microsoft still manufacturers wired keyboards there is one it is called the Digital Media Keyboard 3000 and it is Mac supported by Microsoft. I have always used Microsoft keyboards up until now (I bought the 530s for my Mac) and have never once ever had a problem with a MS keyboard, well unless it involved a glass of water that is. Other than that their boards are very sturdy and feel good to the touch.

Anyway, you may want to try this one out.

Best of luck!
T;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I too hated the Mighty Mouse and when I got my first Mac two and bit years ago, I ditched the Mighty Mouse pretty quickly. I got the Logitech S530 and have been using it ever since. I like it so well that when I got this new Mac Pro I went out and got another S530.

You only have to replace the batteries every 6 mos or so. They last a long time. The keyboard is just great, right from the start. Initially, you may find the mouse a bit stiff - takes more pressure to click the keys than many mice. However, it loosens up over time. There is a marked difference between my older S530 mouse and my newer one.

Clearly, I would recommend the Logitech S530. You might wish to reconsider it.

That having been said, I have become quite taken with the new aluminum keyboard, so much so that I have set the S530 keyboard aside now and am exclusively using the aluminum one. Now I use it and the S530 mouse and am quite happy with the result.

You are exactly the person I need to talk to: A satisfied S530 owner. I've been a long-term Logitech keyboard user, but I have the MX-5000, which pairs up to my MBP, but the 10-key pad doesn't work properly unless I pair up using the Logitech USB-Bluetooth radio. Of course, my internal logic says "why should you use an external when an internal is available? but Logitech says they are not going to update the driver.

My question to you is: Does the S530 pair up and work, properly - including the full functionality of the 10-key pad - with your Mac's internal bluetooth radio? Or are you required to use the external USB-Bluetooth one?

Thanks,
Perry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.