Web hosting.

Reaction score
Okay so I am looking to get some web hosting and a domain for myself, however, I am having a hard time choosing. I am reading reviews, looking at top lists.

Any recommendations or good sources to read from? I really want a reliable company but it's so hard when people constantly right reviews and they could be random.

Mac hosting seems a bit expensive at 99 bucks a year at 8.95 a month. I don't know, I also don't have 99 bucks to front right away. Unless someone can persuade me why it's SO GOOD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Well with Mac hosting is supposed to get a price cut at WWDC, so that is what I suggest to do, wait 6 more days.

OP
N
Reaction score
What is WWDC and is there anywhere to read about this to what the rumored prices would be?

Reaction score
The WWDC is the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Just a conference in which Apple released updates, products, info, and upgrades etc'.

You can check out the rumors from google search and for an in-depth description of WWDC, click here

You can wait for the WWDC and then see what was discussed.

As far as host's, IX Webhosting isn't that bad. I'm currently web mastering a site there, and it's going fine.

I've heard good things about Host Monster and I believe Blue Host or something like that.

Good luck.
-AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Okay so I am looking to get some web hosting and a domain for myself, however, I am having a hard time choosing. I am reading reviews, looking at top lists.

Any recommendations or good sources to read from? I really want a reliable company but it's so hard when people constantly right reviews and they could be random.

Mac hosting seems a bit expensive at 99 bucks a year at 8.95 a month. I don't know, I also don't have 99 bucks to front right away. Unless someone can persuade me why it's SO GOOD?

Well first off tell us what type of website you are going to create.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
That is somewhat irrelevant, it's going to be personal though.

No it's not irrelevant.

We need to know what type of website you are planning to have in order to suggest hosting. Now .Mac hosting is fine if your looking at starting a personal website. It's not good if your going to run a website with any sort of scripts or backends. Get it? :)

For domain registration I would suggest Hostway. It's $7.95/yr and I used them to register all my domain names. The .Mac service would be good for your website. Not quite sure they offer domain's but I think they do. Dreamhost is a good host also and I've used them in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I've used GoDaddy for almost two years and they've been great. My renewal is coming up and I have no reason to look elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I've been with DreamHost for several years.
Some people ***** and moan about them, but I've never had any issues or down time that wasn't scheduled...the occasional unplanned outage, but I'd say a 98% up time.
Good rate plans, storage space, etc.

Reaction score
The questions about what kind of site you want to build/run are legitimate and asked with the intent to help you. I was an executive at a large web host for several years, so can try to help you as well. A good site where hosting is dicussed is http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Now, if you are planning to run a simple website, yes, .mac will work just fine. If you are looking for something more complex, then a web host or a reseller for web hosting can help you. You have to figure out first what kind of site you are looking for.

Do you want the site hosted on a UNIX, Windows or Mac server? Most of the time with the control panels offered by web hosts, this won't matter, If you want to administer some aspects of the site yourself, then it does make a difference. Will you be offering ecommerce on the site? What kind of traffic are you expecting? (this may impact whether you get a shared hosting site or a dedicated server)

Most web hosts kind of guide you through this process of selection.

I would personally recommend NetNation for great service, they are now part of Hostway. netnation.ca Not the cheapest around but they have been around for 11 years and have solid infrastructure and support

Not to be biased, 1 and 1 is also good I hear. GoDaddy is aggressive, I don't know how good their service is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I use Downtownhost.com and have had excellent service. Customer service is the best I've had. Replies are prompt and informative, and I've never had a problem getting a problem solved.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Fat Cow? I'm considering them and have seen their ads in the Mac magazines for years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.