New iMacs GPU cards... Difference?

Reaction score
OK so I was set on getting a mid-range 20in Aluminum iMac to replace my 3.5yr old PowerBook G4.

I had read some stuff on the web about a lawsuit involving the 20in iMacs and this lack of ability to correctly display millions of colors.

At that point i was like 'pssh what difference could it really make!'

But then I saw the 20in and the 24in side by side. And OMFG it is a HUGE difference, one to warrant the extra monies in my eyes.

Now here is the problem, I have to choose between the two 24in iMac configs.

I can settle for the 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo over the 3.06GHz model b/c of price [anything is an improvement over my 1.5GHz PowerPC eh?]

Now what about the difference between the GPU's; ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory VS. NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory

Im not really partial to either company so I just want to know if the performance upgrade warrants the extra $300.

Background: I edit using the FCP suite of software, place some older games for Mac, and have been living with my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 for 3 years, but now I am down to 1gig of internal storage, the onboard keyboard crapped out 2months after the warranty was up, and im ready for something a bit faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The 8800 is worth getting if you play games, especially within Windows.

If games aren't your cup of tea, stick with the Radeon (not that it can't run games pretty well, just not as good as the nVidia).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.