Using sshfs to Connect to Debian Desktop

T

tux08902

I'm trying to mount my general user directory on my desktop, which runs Debian, on my MacBook Pro using sshfs. I've installed sshfs and MacFuse through MacPorts. I've used the proper command to mount, and the mounting seems to go fine, except that when I try to access the mount point, I get an input/output error. When I go to unmount, the system doesn't recognize that anything is mounted on that directory. I have to manually kill the sshfs process and then unmount. Surprisingly, the whole operation works on my desktop. I can mount my home user directory from my MBP on my desktop in Debian with no trouble at all, and even access its files. Any help would be appreciated. Could it have anything to do with the difference in filesystems, Debian running ext3? I know Linux has support for HFS+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
The difference in file systems shouldn't be causing that since this is just a fancy ssh/scp connection and the host OS will take care of writing to the filesystem.

I have never used sshfs and Macfuse from Darwin ports, I use these versions
http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list

Try uninstalling(?) the darwinports version and use the above ones. I have been using these versions for work for some time (didn't even know about the darwinports versions) and regulary connect over our LAN and VPN (when working remotely) without any issues.

Cheers!

OP
T

tux08902

I don't know why that made a difference, but I tried those version and it worked with no issues at all. Thank you so much. Now, I need to figure out how to mount it automatically.

OP
T

tux08902

Actually, I have another question. I'm going off to Uni next year, and I would like to continue using my Debian desktop as a file server and such. Can I just use sshfs for this, even though I'd be on an external network? Or do you recommend setting up an OpenVPN?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.