newbie questions on running Windows software on Mac

Reaction score
I just switched from windows. Got an IMac. But I have software I'd ike to use on this computer. What do I need to run window software and how much is it? Can I install it myself???

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Well you have boot camp already on the computer, so if you have a windows (xp, vista, etc.) cd you can install it on a seperate partition (section/part) of the harddrive and restart the computer into windows.

You could purchase virtualization software such as Parallels desktop, or VMWare Fusion which allows you to run Windows in a "Window" in mac. (Windows and Mac running at same time). I'm sure some more people can elaborate more on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Well...I just went through this too and got it figured out pretty well. First thing you need is a copy of windows...you can get it from newegg.com for about $90...I suggest windows XP but that is just preference. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056
It says you need to buy some kind of hardware with this version to get it for this price but newegg will ship without it...that's the exact one I ordered and it installed perfectly fine.

Now...you can either install windows using bootcamp (free for mac users...but if you want to go from the Mac os to windows you need to shut down and boot up in the other OS.

I ordered a program called parallels from newegg.com as well (cheapest I found it), installed it on my mac, made sure to update it before installing windows, and then it is so easy to set up. I just popped in the windows disc when it prompted me to insert it, I did, then entered in the serial number and it was good to go.

The advantage to using this program is I can run it just like any other program in mac but windows runs. You can run it in a smaller window, as a full screen, or with both OS's together. I use spaces to set parallels to always open in my 4th space so i can have it full screen. I will include a screen shot of it open in a small window.

Picture%202.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Breny,

Yes indeed you can install it yourself. You start by going to your Applications/Utility folder in finder and open the Boot Camp Assistant. On the first page you'll find the "Print Installation & Setup Guide." Print that guide (pd f you're not ready to install yet) and find out what the requirements are.

When you're ready to install, just follow the guide and you'll end up with Windows (XP or Vista) on your machine in Boot Camp. You can keep it like that, running Windows in native speeds, but you have to re-boot each time you want to change between OS's. If you would rather avoid that, install either Parallels or VM Fusion, then install Windows from Boot Camp to the VM and you can have both OS's on the desktop at the same time. Great stuff if you need Windows as well as Mac.

Good luck, Noel

EDIT: Whoops, getuptogetdown beat me to it :) BTW, just saw Fusion on Amazon today for $56...

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks so much!!! Now just so I have this right...I need to BUY windows XP verses using a disk that came with my old computer correct?

And is it a special type of windows XP? (ex: for mac only)

I am printing the bootcamp instructions now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I don't believe you can use an old install disk...you have to buy it. And no it not a mac specific software...you just use normal software like the link I posted above for xp. Bootcamp is cool but if you have the money buy parallels because its awesome having both OS's open at the same time.

OP
B
Reaction score
Another ?

Ok...lets say I just wanted to buy VM Fusion and windows xp. Then do I even need to use Bootcamp at all to install the two?

(sorry I'm still trying to learn!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
I would suggest getting vmware fusion to start off with. Then, before you even go buy windows, you have access to the vmware library from their main website. You can then search and d/l a copy that does not need registering and has full functionality. :)

'Virtual machines' are a single file that has an operating system all installed in the one file. VmWare has a library and I have gotten os's ranging from red hat linux, ubuntu, fedora 9 blah blah...the list goes on.

I use paralells at work because it's a bit better than vmware BUT if you only need to run some program........ don't even bother buying another microsoft product.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you don't need to install it in bootcamp to use it. But if you are looking to play games or anything I guess its better to run in bootcamp. I just use it for various programs so I run parallels and have never used bootcamp. I love parallels.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok I might be confused? So if I buy vmware fusion , I can run window based software just using that and I don't have to buy windows xp to run my windows software?

All I want to run is some picture software and another software I have. No games.

Thanks!!!!

I would suggest getting vmware fusion to start off with. Then, before you even go buy windows, you have access to the vmware library from their main website. You can then search and d/l a copy that does not need registering and has full functionality. :)

'Virtual machines' are a single file that has an operating system all installed in the one file. VmWare has a library and I have gotten os's ranging from red hat linux, ubuntu, fedora 9 blah blah...the list goes on.

I use paralells at work because it's a bit better than vmware BUT if you only need to run some program........ don't even bother buying another microsoft product.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I might be confused? So if I buy vmware fusion , I can run window based software just using that and I don't have to buy windows xp to run my windows software?

All I want to run is some picture software and another software I have. No games.

Thanks!!!!

Breny,

If you had wanted Windows to play games, I'd say use Boot Camp. Windows runs faster there than in a VM (Parallels or Fusion).

You still need Windows to run Window programs in OS X. Neither Parallels nor Fusion will run Windows apps by themselves. But you can install Windows 2 ways: 1, into Boot Camp and from there import it into the VM; or 2, install Windows directly into the VM, as I understand it... I installed Windows into Boot Camp because if I un-install Parallels, I still have Windows in Boot Camp. Also it let me try XP out in that mode to see if I liked it before I installed Parallels. And it really does work well in Boot Camp, but I really like the way I can drag between XP and OS X with Parallels.

Most posters I asked here recommended installing into Boot Camp first, so that's what I did :)

As for what version of Windows, the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide says this: "Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows."

I bought my version of XP from Newegg for about $90, and it's OEM, not retail.

Good luck whichever way you do it, Noel

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks soooo much!!! I'm learning....SLOWLY :)

Ok so....I buy xp...load it using Boot Camp (I already opened it (boot camp)and printed the instructions, hopefully I wont mess it up)

Then doing it this way I CAN start using my windows software...I just will need to reboot if I want to go on the internet.

But if I decide to buy parrells or fusion that will allow me to run both at the same time.

am I getting it?

Reaction score
Yes you are. Two things to note: (1) you do NOT need to use Boot Camp, but you can use it - it depends on how you will be using Windows, and (2) if you choose to install Windows via Boot Camp, there are some features of Parallels and Fusion (i.e., "snapshot" in Fusion) which are not available when a virtual machine is run off a Boot Camp partition.

What I did was first install Windows via Boot Camp. Then, I downloaded trial versions of Parallels and Fusion (for free) and installed each of them in turn to see what I preferred, and to work with Boot Camp for awhile. I discovered two things -- first, I preferred Fusion to Parallels (both are essentially the same functionally and it comes down to personal preference for most), and second, I really did not need to have Windows running natively on my Mac for what I was doing -- rebooting was a serious pain in the ****.

So, I bought Fusion, removed my Boot Camp partition (so it and Windows were gone and my Mac was back where it started), then installed Fusion and then re-installed XP from the disc I bought (from Newegg, incidentally), and there you have it.

Works like a charm for me.

It's really not as hard as it seems. I am by no means a tech geek and am definitely an "old guy" by standards around here, and it was easy for me to install and use (both for me and my wife). So simple, in fact, that I wound up installing Fusion and XP on each of my 3 Macs at home.

Good luck!

Reaction score
where is this download section?

wasnt able to find it on the vmware fusion site. Can you help point the way? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
geoffrey2k,

The trial version of Fusion is available here: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
It's at the top middle of the page...

Is this what you were looking for? Just click on "Get free trial."

Noel

Reaction score
thanks, but that wasn't it...

a previous poster, blizare(?) has mentioned that you didnt need to buy windows xp but that you could instead download a copy off the vmware library that didnt need an authentication code. I wasnt able to find that on their website. seems unlikely I will. Never heard of this option before.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok I downloaded the fusion trial and now I need xp. where is the least expensive place to buy???

I just have WAY to much picture software so I need windows ro run it...but I love my mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Breny,

Not sure where the cheapest XP is today, but Newegg is reliable and an OEM copy is like $85, free shipping. Look here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

That's what I bought and used, worked great. Buy hurry up, I think they stop selling soon - maybe today (June 30th). Think I'll buy an extra copy, too...

Noel

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok I ordered it today via your link. AND I downloaded a free trial of fusion. Now are there special instructions for when I install XP??? Just pop in the CD or do I have to do something with the fusion 1st?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.