Won't install OS... Tells me errors and to restart

Reaction score
When I restart the OS it does the same thing over and over. I verified disks and they say they are ok. Sometimes it will boot up to a screen with a bunch of jumbled text and then the screen in the middle that says restart due to a kernal panic. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
K
Reaction score
Oh, and as far as the Apple Hardware Test goes. I don't have a original recovery. I only have Tiger and Leopard disks and it doesn't have an OS on the hard drive of the Imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and as far as the Apple Hardware Test goes. I don't have a original recovery. I only have Tiger and Leopard disks and it doesn't have an OS on the hard drive of the Imac.
See if you can use this.
Apple Hardware Test Images

Does booting from the install disk work? (hold "c" with the install disk while booting)

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah I can get to it but it gives me this screen halfway through the install.

IMG_0405.jpg

These are some other screens I get from time to time.

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0402-1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It mentions an invalid partition map. Have you tried to reformat the HDD to Mac OS Extended? (HFS+)
Try the Erase and Install option and use the "zero" option as well. (after selecting Languages-go to Utilities-Disk Utility from the Menu bar)

Are you able to burn a cd for the Apple Hardware test?

OP
K
Reaction score
I am on my other Imac trying to burn the Apple Hardware Test cd. My problem is that its a .dmg and when it mounts all i see is a readme file. Headed to try to reformat with zero and will be back in a few.

OP
K
Reaction score
The test wont run because mine is a 20" I guess. It isn't noted to run on the 20" on the list. I put it in and it said that Apple Hardware Test isn't made to run on this machine.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, I haven't tried the zero out data option. I was formatting it using the default option (leave data). Hopefully this will work. It kinda worries me how it gives me the fuzzy screen in the Open Firmware screen though. Well, in about 25 minutes we will know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I haven't tried the zero out data option. I was formatting it using the default option (leave data). Hopefully this will work. It kinda worries me how it gives me the fuzzy screen in the Open Firmware screen though. Well, in about 25 minutes we will know.
Agreed. The kernel panic could be due to the graphics card as well. (hoping the AHT would work)
If you can get an OS onto the HDD, could try booting into Safe mode. (hold "shift" during reboot) May be able to isolate the problem. If you still get a kernel panic, you could try to remove the user accessable ram and Airport card. (if it's installed) Trying to isolate the kernel panic as best as possible...

OP
K
Reaction score
Agreed. The kernel panic could be due to the graphics card as well. (hoping the AHT would work)
If you can get an OS onto the HDD, could try booting into Safe mode. (hold "shift" during reboot) May be able to isolate the problem. If you still get a kernel panic, you could try to remove the user accessable ram and Airport card. (if it's installed) Trying to isolate the kernel panic as best as possible...

I have already removed the Airport card and replaced the internal ram and the ram on the bottom with ram that i know works. Hopefully this will load!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already removed the Airport card and replaced the internal ram and the ram on the bottom with ram that i know works. Hopefully this will load!
Few less things to worry about! ;)

Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
K
Reaction score
It works! Hopefully that isn't a video card problem but I don't see how that could have been the hard drive making everything scrambled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It works! Hopefully that isn't a video card problem but I don't see how that could have been the hard drive making everything scrambled.

Good to hear! Glad it's working for you!

Not sure about the screen either, but you never know... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.