Mail keeps crashing and quitting unexpectedly

Reaction score
hi.. i'm a new mac user. i was really hoping mail was compatible with hotmail but that's another case.

everytime i open Mail and wait for the mailboxes to finish loading the new mails, i just have to click any of the mail item and Mail will quit unexpectedly after about 5 seconds. i could click any item in my mac.com mailbox, my rss feeds, or my gmail mailbox, the same thing happens.

can anyone help me solve this problem please?

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Welcome!

I'd look for corrupt preference files. Download: Preferential Treatment

You can also reinstall the Mail app. with a program called Pacifist and your Install disk.

Post back with any results. There are some other things to try, if needed.

OP
C
Reaction score
hi Soulwar, thanks for your reply!

I tried reinstalling Mail.app from the Max OS X install disc, but the problem persists.. exactly the same. what should i do next?

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. I ended up going into my user profile library and deleting the Mail file and recovering an older one using Time Machine. But I would recommend doing this at your own risk. If you do not have an older version of the Mail folder, you'll wipe all your email and account settings, so beware!

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Did you ever download the application to look for corrupt preference files?

OP
C
Reaction score
i just realised i had a 3-month complimentary phone support from apple so i called them and managed to solve the problem. i had to delete the com.apple.mail.plist file in mac HD: users: <user home folder>:library: preferences. and then, i had to delete the entire mail folder from mac HD: users: <user home folder>: library. reopen mail and the problem is gone! thanks for all replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just realised i had a 3-month complimentary phone support from apple so i called them and managed to solve the problem. i had to delete the com.apple.mail.plist file in mac HD: users: <user home folder>:library: preferences. and then, i had to delete the entire mail folder from mac HD: users: <user home folder>: library. reopen mail and the problem is gone! thanks for all replies!
Didn't I mention corrupt preference files the first time...:Confused:
Welcome!

I'd look for corrupt preference files. Download: Preferential Treatment
And the 2nd time?:Confused:
Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Did you ever download the application to look for corrupt preference files?

Why won't Apple hire me??;P

OP
C
Reaction score
haha i'm so sorry.. i didnt understand what you meant by corrupt preference files. i thought by re-installing the whole thing i'd replace all files with uncorrupted ones. i'm not very good with going into system files. but really thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.