why is there someone named jay under 'shared' in Finder

Reaction score
when i open my finder theres a shared section and theres something named jay. it says its kind is a pc server and it has a picture of a monitor and the blue screen that shows up on windows when your comp crashes.

uh...can someone explain to me me what this is and if its harmful? right now im downloading on limewire and azureus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Can you delete the shared folder ? If not see if its locked CMD-I and click the locked box.

OP
M
Reaction score
Can you delete the shared folder ? If not see if its locked CMD-I and click the locked box.

no its not locked but it wont let me delete it.
or maybe i just dont know how.
when i right click it, it just give me the options: 'open' and 'get info' and when i open it, it tries to connect and fails. and if i highlight it and press the delete key like on a pc it doesnt do anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That's just another user on your network. Your mac will automatically detect and display other computers on the local network and display them for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's just another user on your network. Your mac will automatically detect and display other computers on the local network and display them for you.

so wat does that mean if another user is on my network? does that mean someone else is using my internet? cuz im not using a router so how are we in the same network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
how are you connected? wifi? lan? school, home, business?

OP
M
Reaction score
how are you connected? wifi? lan? school, home, business?

home. connected directly thru ethernet cable. and my router is off and doesnt even have a ethernet cable connected to it.

i dont get where this jay person is coming from

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Are you sharing your internet connection? (Check "System Prefs / Sharing") If so, turn it off and you'll shut that intruder out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you sharing your internet connection? (Check "System Prefs / Sharing") If so, turn it off and you'll shut that intruder out.

no it says im not sharing anything. all sharing is off. but now theres a person named leb2r4dl3yl51 thats also under sharing in my macintosh HD.

so now theres two people....how do i get rid of these people that i dont even know?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
home. connected directly thru ethernet cable. and my router is off and doesnt even have a ethernet cable connected to it.

i dont get where this jay person is coming from

Where does the other end of that Ethernet cable go? A Modem? Is this at a College?

Opps you did say you are at home. But still where does the cable plug into?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Is your wifi on and connected to an open wifi network?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
M
Reaction score
my ethernet cable is plugged into a modem that connects to a cable because i have cable internet.

and ya my wifi is on but its not connected to anything. but it has like those 4 arches in the icon and the dot and first arch is lit up. does that mean im connected to something or someone? but it just says airport scanning

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Turn off Airport. I bet the shares will go away.

OP
M
Reaction score
i found out where the shares were coming from.

it was coming from limewire...lol
they're gone now

[edit]
WAIT no!!!! they're still there!!!! even after i closed limewire and any other downloading things i have they came back!!!
what do i do???

i even turned off airport.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.