First time potential MacBook buyer!

Reaction score
Hi. I am a 19 year old aspiring musician who could get great use out of GarageBand. I was searching craigslist nonchalantly for some deals and here's what I came across.

I recently upgraded to a 17 inch MacBook Pro so I am selling my 13.3 inch MacBook for $380. The laptop has 2.16GHz processor Intel Core 2 Duo, large 120 Gb hard, 2 Gb memory, iSight camera, Super Drive. The price is $380.

I then sent an e-mail showing my display of interest. Here is the follow-up.

Hello,

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Amy and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
This machine has been used for professional needs over the past 11 Months, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. The warranty is good until June 2010 and it is fully transferable. One more thing, it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Amy

She also included 5 pictures of the laptop. Apart from some greasy keys and a trackpad (which I plan on replacing from a spare part on ebay) it looks pretty nice.

I'd just like some input from regular mac users here. Obviously, this is an incredible price. But how are the specs? Are the internal parts outdated? A pet peeve of my current HP DV5000 is how loud the fan gets...how hot it gets...and how much it works when the notebook is rendering video. Do you know if these particular models have any of these problems? I'd also like to hear from people with these specs.

Edit: the weird part about this is that she advertised this in my state. Which is slightly suspicious and I asked her about. I would also like to add that it is a Black MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
el84,

Welcome to the forum and thanks to looking here for assistance!

The specs on the Macbook look good - pretty close to the one I just bought in March. The greasy keys is a little bothersome, but if you plan to replace the keyboard, that aspect would be OK. But maybe that portends other problems - scratched up case, hard use (professional), etc. You could also change the hard drive and the memory easily and for not too much money, but getting it from the UK means lots of long-line communications if you have any major problems. BTW, who pays shipping and taxes (U.S. import)

The age and warranty situation are great selling points.

If you think she sounds honest and you're willing to potentially part with $380 (as an initial investment), it is a great price and could turn out to be a good deal.

If it were me, and I didn't already have a Mac, believe I might give it a try. A fter all, the most you can lose is $380, but the most you can gain is a good, usable Macbook with a nice warranty!

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I'd say go for it! If it's legit, you won't regret it, and many of us who plopped down $1200+ for ours will be deeply jealous.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for such immediate replies!

Yeah, I'm still awaiting a reply as to where the location of the actual laptop is. Haha. Here are the pictures she included.
http://i26.tinypic.com/30tgjdl.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/desars.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/2mz9qbm.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/fdd5b6.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/bg73bq.jpg

I asked what else is included besides AC adapter. Is there anything else I should ask about? I am sure I can acquire most of the software online..right?

Also, on the subject of keyboard replacement, I've done it once before for my HP and it wasn't exactly the most fun I've had, just a very meticulous process. Any experience with keyboard replacement on Macs?

Also, good point on the taxing and imports. Hopefully we'll meet halfway. I will keep this thread updated as we just started communicating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
That is a common craigslist scam out of the U.K. stay away.That same Ad was posted in my craigslist in Tampa Fl.

good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
I think this could be a scam. The keyboard in the picture supplied by "Brit Amy" is not a UK keyboard.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yikes. It almost sounded too good to be true. I'll keep hope. We'll see what "her" next reply looks like.

OP
E
Reaction score
Well to justify the comment about the UK keyboard. She made the craigslist ad in New Jersey, so maybe she is or was from here? I'm trying to look for the light side of this. Maybe she moved to the UK for her job? I'm definitely going to try to get some more information on this.

What's the worst that happens here? Would I actually lose my money? Can't I file a dispute with PayPal if the worst happens?

OP
E
Reaction score
Just got a reply from her. I don't know anything about this "service" from DHL... but apparently I am eligible for a full refund if I don't get what I want on DHL's expense? The weirdest part is that she didn't answer any of the questions I had about the laptop or her or the laptops location. I still think it's a bit too early to make an educated assumption about this. It is a little weird that this is being "expedited" on her end, though.
Hello

I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop within 3-4 days.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the laptop in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a worldwide delivery company DHL, and they will provide assistance in hadling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
With this procedure you will have the change to test the laptop before I receive my payment.
The procedure is explained on the DHL webpage and please click on the link below to the DHL website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company.

http://www.expressfreight-dhl.co.uk/en_uk/webship.high.html

Let me know

Amy

Edit: Also just found this on craigslist after searching per post above in this thread.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/sys/693147823.html

I sent that link to her and told her to prove herself if she wants my money. I have a feeling the replies will end here though :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
It's a scam these people are constantly posting ads for Macs in the U.K. I have seen several ads on craigslist all over the U.S. by the same people just different Macs. No one sells a Macbook for $380......It's probably the same people who run the Nigerian scams.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, that link is to a Phishing site as well - it's definitely not a genuine DHL page. Even the deutsche Post wouldn't use images that are that low res:

dhl_logo_dasc.jpg

Reaction score
Unless you're picking up in person. DON'T DO IT! If you send cash, your money will be LONG GONE!

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I almost wish I could screw with them back for ruining some peoples' lives but then I'd be stooping to their level. What drives them to try to screw with motivated, good people? I'm sure their dayjobs must be great..

Thanks for all your help though, guys. I suppose I'll keep looking. I'll own a Mac some day...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Hey, you could always do a scam the scammer by offering them a P-P-P-Powerbook!

I'm not even sure what I'd sell my Macbook for, even if I don't have a greasy keyboard or trackpad, but it sure as heck wouldn't be $380.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
It's a scam. No one who legitimately owns the described MB would sell it for $380. It's either hot or non-existent. I certainly wouldn't send this person any money.

Reaction score
Hello,

I made an inquiry on the same laptop and am on the phone with western union right now trying to get my money back because I found out this was a scam. Please do not send this person any money.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/340/RipOff0340874.htm

I hope it is not too late.

I do personally have a mac already and was looking for an update, but I love my mac and do encourage you investing in one... just not this one.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.